isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
I heart Southwest Airlines
Today was a travel day - once I worked for five hours in the office that is....

Greetings from somewhere over the Arizona dessert. We just flew over Phoenix. I’ll post this when I land in San Diego, but figured I could kill some time blogging on the flight.

Southwest Airlines has already done me a HUGE favor. When I changed planes in Nashville, I was patiently waiting in the “B” Line talking to Toby Keith’s producer (seriously!), when they called my name on the airport paging system and asked me to return to my old gate. Confused, I went back and the flight attendant asked me if I’d left anything on the plane.

“Not that I recall, no. Oh, there was a magazine I brought on board with me, but I finished reading it and left it for someone else to read”

“You didn’t leave an iPod?”

“Is it a black Nano in a leather case?”

“Yep – thanks for identifying it – here you go”, as she hands me my only source of entertainment this week.

“How’d you know it was mine?” I asked.

“I turned it on, and it said ‘Welcome to Broadsheet’s iPod’, and when I checked the manifest, you were the only Broadsheet on the flight”.

Awfully nice of them to take the time and effort – don’t you think? I still had to buy a wrap sandwich and a bottle of water in the concourse to take on the flight, since even a five hour flight doesn’t get you more than peanuts and cookies anymore, but at least I can blog and listen to the Dixie Chicks, Gnarles Barkley, Imogene Heap, and Regina Spektor.

Good thing too, because in addition to not serving food anymore, this is the first cross country flight I can remember that they haven’t shown a movie. I may borrow the DVD from the guy across from he, he’s watching the latest James Bond movie on his laptop and I haven’t seen it yet.

I didn’t tell Toby Keith’s producer about the Dixie Chicks – I don’t think he’d appreciate it very much.
posted by Broadsheet @ 1:07 AM  
8 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 13, 2007, Blogger tfg said…

    Southwest is the only airline, as far as I'm concerned.

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Blogger Double Dogged said…

    I flew SWA from Baltimore to Nashville a few years ago and talked to Keith Urban just about the whole way there. At the time I really didn't know who he was until we saw him perform at the CMT in the mall.

    Have a great trip and enjoy the warm weather!

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    Did you tell Toby Keith's producer that his client is a talentless asshole? Because you shoulda.

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    jwer: No, I'm more polite than you, but the thought certainly crossed my mind! I did admit to not being a country music fan per se, and only admitted that I had heard of TK. The producer was a nice enough guy. No reason to hate him for making a living.

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate flying Southwest because I ALWAYS end up in the middle of the two fattest fatties ever who smother me and always smell like sausage. Or I always get surrounded by babies who want to do nothing but scream for three hours. Damn cheap travel.

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, but paying $35 to fly from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale is just the best. So I'll put up with the sausage smelling fat men and the screaming babies.

     
  • At February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder why it is that so many people that dislike Toby Keith are foul-mouthed, obviously angry, & insulting? Maybe it's because he is amazingly talented, rich, and gorgeous, and is a threat to their lack of manhood?!

     
  • At February 20, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    Elsietee: I could insult him without profanity, if you prefer. He is a mediocre top-40 country personality with no original ideas, whose biggest claim to fame is a series of horrible jingoistic songs that pander to people who'd rather not think about world events or their place in them. That's why he's rich.

    Me, I wonder why people who defend fools like Keith immediately go for the "lack of manhood" argument, but given that his subsidiary fame is from shilling giant pickups that very few people actually need, I have to laugh at your ad hominem attack, delivered apparently without irony.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER