isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, February 05, 2007
A Little Dab'll Do Ya
I had a little kitchen mishap Saturday afternoon when I was making dinner for the neighbors. Namely, I managed to nearly sever a piece of my middle finger while chopping vegetables.

After I hopped around and swore for a few minutes and held it under running water, I tried wrapping it up in a thick piece of paper towel to stench the flow, which worked, as long as I held direct pressure on it. As soon as I took my hand off it - I would hope for an immediate seal like the cheerleader on "Heroes", but alas, I'm mortal, and it would start gushing again.

After about 20 minutes, I got it to almost stop, and determined that the cut was not only deep, it was a slice, so I couldn't really stitch it, and it was the tip of my finger, which made it awkward. I managed to get a bandage on it, but it's really hard to maneuver or keep dry, and every time I take the bandage off - it's geyser time again.

Let's hear it for glue! And no, I'm not talking about Super Glue, I'm talking about Liquid Stitches. Came in to work this morning, held my bandaged, bloody finger out to one of my docs with a pouty little girl look, some disinfectant, a dab of Derma Bond, and voila!

All better.
posted by Broadsheet @ 2:49 PM  
9 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 05, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    Super Glue and “liquid stitches” are practically identical compounds; the only significant difference being that the FDA approved stuff breaks down into formaldehyde at a slower rate. I threw away all my band-aids and replaced them with Super Glue in my first-aid kits at home and at work years ago. Shit’s the bomb, and has saved me from several ER vi$it$.

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Super Glue stings like a mother f----r. Every professional chef / cook should carry a tube of this stuff. Let me know - I'll hook you up!

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    ? super glue doesn't sting. I pour that shit on my open wounds all the time.

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger tfg said…

    You weren't really going to stitch yourself, were you?

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    tfg: Probably not - it was my left hand and I'm left handed, and I don't have any surgical thread in the house - anything else it too thick. I've removed plenty of my own stitches though.

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Did you decide to work at a hospital because you injure yourself on a regular basis?

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay: I'm a health care exec. It's an occupational hazard. Although, the older I get, the more convenient it becomes!

     
  • At February 06, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    jwer: Yeah - it's the "toxic" part we like to leave out of the medicinal glue, which is what eebmore was referring to (accurately, I might add). But, I think he has some nerve damage (obvious), because Krazy Glue really does hurt.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER