isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Three Cheers for Three!
So I met up with my friends M and J last night near their house in Patterson Park at Three, the hot little restaurant on Baltimore St. at the end of the park.

Go there now.

Just amazing. It's mostly small plates, but they have some nice entrees too. We stuck with the small plates and just sat at the bar and chilled. Because M and J live practically across the street, they are regulars, so we hung out with co-owner Mike Harmel - who has a "three" tatoo on his forearm, so I guess he's committed to its success.

Chef Peter Livolsi from Pazo has done an awesome job. I had three (ha!) small plates: Blood orange and fennel salad with olives - delish; eggplant fritters with marinara and mozarella - big, paper thin slices of eggplant lightly breaded and fried - really a very light dish; and the piesta resistance - blackened loin of venison with cherries. Oh. My. God. Perfectly cooked, and perfectly seasoned. Next time, I'm getting two plates of this to make an entree - it's that good.

So, if you're looking for a place with bistro atmosphere, great food, and some really nice wines by the glass, give Three a try - you'll go back again. I will.

The atmosphere reminded me of 'b' - the beloved little restaurant up the street from me. It's like a neighborhood living room. Just a great joint with terrific food, consistently good, cozy atmosphere, and a great place to hang out. Every city neighborhood needs one.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:53 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 05, 2008, Blogger Summer said…

    Glad you liked it! I live about two blocks from there and I really like it, but it tends to be an expensive night out. With the previous restaurant in that space, Parkside, I felt like we could go cheap or expensive, but it's hard to do that at Three. Don't get me wrong, Three is MUCH better than Parkside for food, but at at about $8-10 for a small plate that doesn't fill you up, it's easily a $30 a person PLUS alcohol kind of night, which kind of bums me out and keeps me from calling it "my place".

    The venison is one of the best dishes on the menu. I also really like the fingerling potatoes on arugula and the mushroom fritters, and well, pretty much everything else.

    The outdoor seating is great in the summer though, so I imagine when it warms up I'll be there more often as it really is the meeting spot for our neighborhood.

     
  • At March 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So Summer knows Broadsheet. Cool.

    Someday we'll have a casual place to complete the salt/Life of Reilly balance, but meanwhile I find I can get by on the venison and one lesser item (like the pineapple and parm) for $17-20 and call it a meal. But yeah, I usually spend way more on the alcohol, but that's strictly my problem.

    Cheers,
    "M"

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER