isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Consumerism
I tried to stimulate the economy out of a recession today by buying an HDTV and a new dishwasher. Yes, one is sexy, the other one - not so much.

So, armed with my research from Consumer Reports, Cnet, and a few other sites, I headed to Best Buy to see what was what. I got a Sony Bravia 32BX4 - supposedly the best 32 inch out there at the moment. The sales guy kept trying to talk me into a larger model, but my entertainment armoir will only accommodate a 32 inch set, and besides, it's a TV, not a penis. I don't need a 50" inch screen to prove anything.

Best Buy didn't have the dishwasher I was looking for - a Bosch, so I headed to Lowe's. I had originally thought I might like one of the new drawer dishwasher models since I don't run the dishwasher all that often, and they look very slick. That was until I found out that their repair rate is horrible, they're really expensive, and they got a last place rating by Consumer Reports. Bosch, however, looks great, was highly rated, and has a "half load" option that allows you to wash a half load with less water and energy than a full load. It's energy efficiency and low noise ratings were also attractive. It's not the cheapest appliance out there, probably double what a Kenmore or Whirlpool runs, but it's not outrageously expensive either. I wanted the stainless steel finish, so they had to order it, and it'll be here in a couple of weeks.

Stay tuned for my battle installing the HDTV and getting it hooked up to everything else. First, I have to exchange my cable box for an HDTV tuner.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:38 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If it's Comcast you'll be reckoning with on that HDTV thing, be careful. The guy they sent out to hook up my box when I got it (they wouldn't let me plug it in myself) actually did it incorrectly. It'll probably be a good idea to double check anything they do for you.

     
  • At March 06, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Interesting. Comcast said to just drop off the digital tuner at one of their offices and pick up the HD Tuner to hook up myself. Maybe it's because you were a new customer? I've pretty much set aside all afternoon to pull this off....

     
  • At March 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They must have changed the policy. I wasn't a new customer, but this was a little over a year ago.

    I wouldn't worry too much about it -- the process should be pretty straightforward. If you have any issues I'm sure I or someone else around the 'blog can probably post you through it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER