isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, February 25, 2008
Paradise Chronicles - Day 4, 5
So yesterday, I took my new Canadian friend to the airport for her trip back to the Great White North, and thought I would explore Oranjestad and have a nice lunch somewhere. Not so fast. No cruise ships come into Aruba on Sundays - at least not until the evening, so all the shops were closed.

Oh well. I decided to explore a snorkeling beach on the south side of the island, and they had a wonderful beach grill where I had a fabulous creole grouper with hot peppers, and some fried plantains with pinda sauce (peanut sauce). I was going to stop at the market on the way home and pick up something to grill for dinner and to use up some left over groceries, and get some snacks for the Oscars, but all the markets close at 1:00 on Sundays, and I didn't know that.

So, I had to take myself out to dinner. Found a little pier side place overlooking the water with just 11 tables and the chef was grilling things to order. Sat at the bar and struck up a conversation with the couple next to me who were from San Francisco. Turns out he is a wine distributor, so instead of having a glass of the house wine, he kept pulling bottle after bottle of really good stuff he had brought with him from Napa outta his beach bag. Score! He even gave me a bottle to take home. I had the most amazing beef tenderloin skewer. Perfectly cooked, with a sauce of dark rum, blue cheese, and hot island peppers. It was mind blowingly good.

Today, I have to pack up, check out, get to the party store to get things to decorate the room for the birthday girl, check in to the condo, decorate the room, and get to the airport to collect my friends....

The next five days should be a lot of fun, but these last five were awfully relaxing....
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:53 AM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You and your damned vacation are evil. You must be destroyed.

    p.s. Despite the win by my future husband Xavier Bardem the Oscars were a bit stilted, boring, no?

    Youngest Sister

     
  • At February 26, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Tomorrow is supremely evil. Private 1/2 day catamaran sail with breakfast and lunch - open bar, and three snorkel dive stops on old shipwrecks. In the afternoon, we have a wine tasting, and then reservations for dinner at a great restaurant. Sucks to be us this week for sure.

    ps Yes, Oscars were dry, although I was thrilled that Marie Cotillard won for La Vie En Rose. It should have gotten a best picture nod.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER