isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Crime Blotter
I know Snay is guest blogging over at Baltimore Crime this week, but I had a very disturbing incident WAY too close to home yesterday, that wasn't reported.

There is a small, Korean family operated, liquor store/mini mart around the corner from my house at Sutton Place on Park Ave. Alex and his family run the place, and I can't imagine a more gentle, nice, wholesome, family, that make it a point to call their customers by name.

Because I'm "homeless" this week, I stopped in this evening to pick up some wine and a frozen dinner. It was only then that I noticed the bandage on Alex's face, and the sad look.

Yesterday. July 25, at about 1:30 PM, three men came in to the store with handguns, and pointed them at customer's heads demanding money, cell phones, credit cards, etc..

Alex was afraid that they were all going to be killed, but a BPD unit happened to be out front a few moments later (they were not alerted - just on rounds), and they captured the assailants.

This is less than two blocks away. I stop in this store at least once a week, and I've come to consider Alex and his family as friends. He saves me the special Korean cookies that he gave me once, and now I am obsessed with them for tea. Alex added them to his inventory just for me, and gives me great boxes of them, with a huge smile on his face.

Today, he looked quiet, scared, sad, and uncertain. Mostly traumatized.

While I am glad Alex and his family were unharmed, and I'm glad the police were so responsive. This needs to stop - now.
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:46 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 26, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    I hope Alex starts smiling again, Broadsheet. That level of customer service is rare in this world, it sounds like a great place and I hope it doesn't change (much).

     
  • At July 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Godammit, that's just too close to home. Alex and his business is an institution and this really pisses me off. I was just in there early this evening and knew something was way off.
    Is it just me or has anyone noticed that ever since Dixon was annointed mayor, that crime in the city (for that matter Bolton Hill especially) has skyrocketed? Brilliant choice for the guitar playing leprechaun O'Malley..
    Those crooks were quite brazen and equally dumb. Sutton Place is practically a BCPD rest stop -trying to nick the place just past lunch hour to boot.
    Let's see, possession of an illegal firearm is an automatic 5 years plus 6-10 for armed robbery.

    11 years time. Give them 2 extra to think it over again.

     
  • At July 27, 2007, Blogger danielle said…

    That's horrible. The 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts in Hampden were recent victims of armed robbery. A littler further than just around the corner from me, and I don't know all the employees/owners, but still close enough for alarm.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER