isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, July 23, 2007
Time Warp
Wow - that weekend went quickly! Artscape was terrific, the weather was glorious, the friends were plentiful, and time was short.

My house guests were tremendous in helping me drag the contents of the living room to the basement once we were well and truly "Artscaped out" on Sunday afternoon. Zenchick followed up after they left for the airport, and in an hour or so - we had it all packed away. Rugs, paintings, window treatments, chairs, nicknack's, books, CDs. It's going to take me months to clean everything and put it all back together once the floors are done.

I'm staying in the basement apartment of a neighbor across the street this week. She built it for her elderly mother to live in during the winter, and it's really nice! Bedroom, sitting room sofa, love seats and a lovely kitchenette, and a very nice bathroom. Everything we could possibly need for the week while the fumes clear, and the floors get three coats of fresh polyurethane.

I threw some clothes together for the week, grabbed my laptop and some books and took those over. Cleaned out the fridge of leftovers, milk and some frozen dinners, and grabbed some coffee. The apartment is appointed nicely with everything I could think of, and I actually have the run of the rest of the house as well, since my gracious hostess is out of town on business all week.

I dragged all the cat's stuff across the street, and then devised a plan to kidnap them. Beach towel ambush. One at a time. Drop a large beach towel over the cat, wrap it up tightly, and dash across the street. Peanut was fine. Pumpkin cried like stuck pig and was the biggest fraidy cat of all.

I unpacked while the cats investigated every nook and cranny, and then took a long, cool, shower. I was a sweaty mess. I came out of the bathroom with a towel on my head, just in time to see Peanut the Wonder Cat launch himself off the edge of the couch towards the window, which, being a basement apartment, is near the ceiling. I have no idea what made him think he could fly, but he tried. And failed. He came crashing down onto the side table and took out the reading lamp. The shade is utterly ripped, crushed and ruined. Pumpkin, already freaked out by the kidnapping, ran under the bed, and I didn't see him again until this morning, when he cried like a baby every time I left the apartment.

One hour into the week long exile, and I owe my host a new lamp... Can't wait to see what they've been up to while I'm at work.
posted by Broadsheet @ 12:42 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 23, 2007, Blogger epiphanyinbmore said…

    Ha! I was reading your entry and thought to myself, "Wow, her cats took a long, cool shower? My cat hates even a little bit of water!".

     
  • At July 24, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Takes an English teacher to correct my sentence structure! ;-)

    You're correct. I forgot to include that all important pronoun, "I".

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER