isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, July 03, 2006
Lights Out
Weird. I was FORCED to putz yesterday. Just as I was cleaning up and putting away groceries at about 5:00 last night, PFFFFT. No electricity. All the power went out.

WTF?

I hurried up and put the perishables away and shut the fridge, and called BGE. I was worried that my switch to Washington Gas and Electric, which was to occur on July 1, but was supposed to be "invisible" to me (except for my bill), had resulted in an error somewhere and that my service was cut off. Luckily for me, not so. The whole street was dark.

I'm not sure what it is about our area, but we are plagued with electric outages and BGE comes out, digs a hole or fiddles at the top of a power line and leaves, without ever seeming to FIX the problem.

I phoned in the outage and was told the power would be back by 8:30 PM.

Hmmm....so much for dinner. I grabbed my book and happily headed up the street to "b", where my favorite, cutest-boy-in-the-world waiter, Josh, was happy to see me - again. "You're cooking tonight!" I told him. He laughed and said "long time, no see", since I had been there for brunch earlier, I should have just stayed all day.

After chatting with half the neighborhood, a bowl of fresh gazpacho, and a plate of grilled tilefish stuffed with crab, longastino, and brie later, I headed home in hopes of power. I got home seconds before the heavens opened up and it poured rain.

No power. Called BGE again, only to find out that the power was not scheduled to be back on before midnight!!

Get candles. Ponder going out to the movies, but it was past the 7:30 start time of most, and besides, I already rented the ones I wanted at Blockbuster for the evening. Idea!!!

Watch the movie on the laptop! Check battery level and it looks like I'll just about make it.

Sure enough, as if on cue, when the "low battery" warning came up on the laptop at about 10:30, the lights flickered back on, and I was able to catch the last bit of the movie on the big screen.
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:18 AM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER