Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
April Fool's plus 1.

I finished my presentation around 12:30 am last night after a lengthy interruption from one of my managers from my old job, who called me to get some career counseling.

My vet couldn't fit me in to treat Pumpkin this week unless I missed work, and with this being day 10 on the job, I decided that was a career limiting move. Especially since I left early yesterday for the dishwasher / plumbing debacle. And besides, Pumpkin clearly had a urinary tract issue, but he was still peeing quite freely (see last post), and he was still reasonably cheerful and stupid. He wasn't straining a lot or crying, it's just that when he needed to pee - he peed - a lot - wherever he happened to be.

I put him in the laundry room with his brother, Peanut (misery loves company), with plenty of food, water and fresh litter. When I finally went to bed, he was in the litter box straining, only now there was a little blood. Not good.

At 4:30 AM, when I got up to check on him, he was in the litterbox again, and hadn't shown anything for his efforts - not good. Time for the vet.

The 24/7 Pet ER in Towson charges $110 just to walk through the front door. I called them, told them I suspected a blockage, and said we'd be right over. I had a 7:00 AM meeting, so I needed to get going.

At 5:45 AM, in my best serious, grey, presentation power suit and pointy patent leather shoes, I bundle Pumpkin into the cat carrier. The poor thing is so miserable, he didn't even try to claw my eyes out. The next step was dumb luck. I put the carrier on the floor in the front passenger side instead of on the seat. Karmic move.

As soon as I started the car and pulled out - Pumpkin freaked out, screamed, and peed a bucket load all over the carrier, himself and my BMW floor mats. So much for a urinary blockage.

Needless to say - it was a lovely commute from downtown to Towson with the smell of warm cat pee and angry, anguished cat howling at 6:00 AM when I've had less than 4 hours sleep. I highly encourage you to try it sometime. I kept going to my "happy place" on the veranda of my beach bungalow in Aruba.

The vet was very nice - even at 6:30 AM. $110 for the entrance fee, $106 bucks for "daycare", and another $150 in drugs and tests. Yay.

Pumpkin has struvite crystals in his urine, and will need prescription cat f$$d for the rest of his life - which his brother gets to eat as well, whether he likes it or not. Antibiotics and steroids were prescribed, and I'm still staunching the bleeding on my fingers from forcing pills down the back of his throat. He is banished to the laundry room until I'm sure he's cured for good this time.

In other news, the presentation went VERY well. I scored a lot of points, got lots of "atta girl" from my boss(es), and am glad I spent as much time on it as I did. I even got a call at home this evening from my Medical Director telling how impressed he was with what I've done in just a few days. Apparently, I'm creating "buzz", and it's good.

Makes up for a lot, and I needed that.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:49 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home

Name: Broadsheet
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory


Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by