isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, March 30, 2008
A Rock and A Hard Place
So...it comes down to this.

In order to keep the Comcast On Demand features and watch HD movies whenever I want, AND be able to record and watch TV shows in HD, I think I'm (and I can't believe I'm typing this), going to return the Tivo HD box and get the Comcast HD DVR box instead.

This is all about monopolies and money - or put another way - monopoly money. The Comcast HD DVR has a shitty interface compared to the magic of Tivo, but it's only $5 more a month than what I am paying now compared to a $300 Tivo box and $12.95 a month for the service.

If I keep the Tivo HD, I lose HD On Demand and Pay Per View services, and although I can upload movies and TV shows anytime via Amazon Unbox at an additional cost - they don't offer HD movies or shows - yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they do, and I can reconsider my choice later.

Also, Comcast is supposedly going to be offering Tivo software on their boxes in the near(?) future, and it will simply be a software download to the box if you already have one.

Don't get me wrong. I adore Tivo - it's one of the best inventions ever. But I live in a Comcast monopoly that limits choice and access as HD and DVR technology gets integrated across all platforms and providers.

A third choice is to abandon Comcast alltogether and get an AppleTV unit. The only drawback there, is that it is a pay as you go provider, and it is not a DVR or TV Tuner, it's essentially an iPod interface for your TV. Seriously sexy interface and options however, but the beauty of a DVR is that it lets you record shows you might not otherwise watch, and experiment with shows you're not certain about. I don't want to pay $1.99 to watch something I'm not going to enjoy.

Change is never easy - even when the new technology is vastly improved upon.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:00 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 30, 2008, Blogger bosconet said…

    Of course if you forego the On-Demand and Pay-PEr-View you will be saving money you can apply to your TiVo bill. :-)

     
  • At March 30, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Funny. The other no hassle factor is that I can just swap my cable box out for the DVR box at a Comcast office and save $40 on an install and not miss a half day or more of work.

    I don't watch that much TV - honestly. But I do like to watch WHAT I want to watch WHEN I want to watch it, so the On Demand HD feature is more important to me than the coolness of Tivo, but this is gonna hurt because I hate Comcast with a passion.

     
  • At March 31, 2008, Blogger Summer said…

    It's sad, isn't it? I had to return my HD Tivo because they didn't tell me when I bought it that it only worked for cable connections and we have DirecTV. They're edging themselves out of customers with all this lack of flexibility. I miss TiVo SO MUCH.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER