isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, March 22, 2008
When the going gets tough - run home to Mom and Dad
During this current period of economic downturn, kids are moving back in with their parents to weather the storm.

My favorite line from this story is:
“It's kind of hitting me finally that I need to get out there and find a job,” she said. “Even if it's just part-time just to help out however I can.”
Emphasis mine. KIND OF?? Finally??? Geez, Precious Princess, have a little self respect will ya?

The most shocking thing about this quote, and the story, is that it is about 40 and 50 somethings moving back home - NOT 20 somethings.

Honestly, I think the parents are enabling their children more than a little in this type of situation. Somewhere along the way, the message about growing up and taking responsibility for yourself fell way short. And I'm not suggesting that there aren't certain tragic or sudden instances that make relying on family necessary for short periods of time, but getting in over your head in credit card debt, a bad mortgage, not being able to hold a job, living above your means, or bad investment decisions aren't some of them.

And before I get hate mail, moving back home to take care of ailing or elderly parents when you are in your forties and fifties should in no way be confused with parents subsidizing them and is a gracious, selfless and very difficult situation to manage.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:05 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 22, 2008, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    My poor parents can't catch a break: my sister moved back in a few months ago to save money before she goes to Colorado for grad school, and just when they thought they were finally going to get her and all her stuff out ...

    ... I asked 'em to clear out a 10x10 section of their basement for me to store excess stuff (like all my legos) when I move to D.C.

     
  • At March 23, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Sany - no disrespect hon, but maybe you should think about getting rid of some of that stuff or renting your own storage space now that you have a solid job and income, and cut your parents a break.

     
  • At March 23, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay - I meant SNAY

     
  • At March 23, 2008, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Oh, I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff -- eBay, Salvation Army, giving furniture to my sister. But given the higher cost of living in DC, I don't know that I can afford the expense of a storage facility.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER