isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Full
My head that is.

I couldn't possibly stuff one more factoid in it today. I'm afraid to tilt my head lest it all run out.

Monday was simply an exercise in staying awake. Hospitals have so many rules and regulations that they are required by law to impart upon you, that it is perhaps the most mind numbingly, boring day you could imagine. Infection Control, Customer Service, JCAHO, HIPPA, Security, Parking, Benefits, multiple information systems. There is no way to make that stuff sexy for 8 hours, and with more than 100 people in a stuffy conference room, staying awake was the hardest part of the day.

Today was different. I got introduced to my new office, which is actually quite nice, with a gorgeous view over a lovely wooded lot. It's a bit bare for now, but I'll start taking in a load of photos and nicknack's every day until it's back to normal. My computer wasn't hooked up yet, so I borrowed the office of someone on Spring Break most of the day, and I'll take my laptop tomorrow in case it takes a few more days to set up. I ordered a new Blackberry, and by tomorrow or Monday, I hope to have all the passwords and sign ons to all the information systems I need to access completed.

I did have one unexpected guest at about 5:15 PM. A small mouse darted right under my feet into the closet. Apparently, he's well known in our suite and has managed to avoid all manner of extermination techniques.

Aside from figuring out how to work the copy machine, coffee maker, order post-it notes and office supplies, I spent more than an hour each with four of my direct reports and my new assistant trying to get a grip on their current projects and responsibilities. My new assistant rocks. This girl makes Katy Couric seem depressed. Perkiest thing I've ever met, and could easily run circles around my last assistant. She's been a huge help today and I look forward to working with her. Sadly, that means I'll either have to promote her soon or she'll get a better offer. She's been there only 3 months. I'll sit down with the rest of my direct reports tomorrow.

I had a budget meeting early this morning that just made me want to lay down in a dark room with a cool washcloth on my forehead afterwards. Numbers were flying fast and furious, and it was like trying to translate everything from Russian into English, or being dyslexic. I'll be fine by next month's meeting, and it was a good introduction, but my God - the scope of what I have to deal with is more than a little daunting.

The one little bright spot in my day right now is getting dressed in the morning. Seriously. I don't have to stand in front of my closet in my underwear with a cup of coffee for 15 minutes, staring blankly and trying to focus my brain on what outfit to wear, when I wore it last, and are those pants back from the dry cleaners yet? Everything is clean, hanging in bags, and these people haven't seen any of it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do something mindless like watch American Idol and rest my brain.
posted by Broadsheet @ 6:47 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER