isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Not so smart after all
I got up around 8:30 this morning. Here's what I accomplished:

8:30 - 9:30 Checked email, blogs, news, etc. Had coffee.

9:30 - 10:00 Catch the TV news, feed the cats, clean up the kitchen.

10:00 - 2:00 Installed all the software for the new phone, set up all the features, and worked on email and internet connectivity. I had the phone all set up by 11:00, and then I futzed with all the connectivity settings for THREE hours. I read the fine print, reset all the parameters, tried all the troubleshooting they recommended, and got nowhere.

2:15 Gave up and called technical support.

2:20 Got through to an operator right away (Steve - very nice guy actually), who proceeded to inform me that the reason I could not get any connectivity was because I had not called him yet to activate the #$%^& phone!! By 3:00 he had me all set.

3:00 - 3:30 Finally grabbed a shower.

3:30 - 4:30 Did a few chores

4:30 Decided to tackle the fact that installing Tivo on my wireless network last weekend, had crashed my internet connectivity to my laptop, and even then, I couldn't get the Tivo to connect to the internet either. The network was fine. Every device could see each other, everyone pinged back happily when I tested the IP addresses, all the port settings were configured properly, I had tried EVERYTHING I could think of in the few evening hours I had during the course of the week, and still nothing was working. So...I decided to take it all apart and start from scratch and reinstall everything.

4:30 - 5:00 Attached the laptop directly to the router and reconnected it to the network - success!

5:00 - 5:10 Reset the all router connections for the DVR. The trouble was simple. (It always is) When I installed it the first time, I selected "wireless media adapter", this time, I selected "Digital Video Recorder" instead - voila!

5:15 Ran the install program for the network adapter on the Tivo again - success!

The good news is that my home wireless network is up and running and all the devices are connected and working well.

The bad news is I wasted my entire Saturday doing it......
posted by Broadsheet @ 5:45 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 30, 2007, Blogger Double Dogged said…

    At least you got everything up and running. If it were me, I would still be trying till Monday

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER