isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Friday, June 22, 2007
Death of a TIVO

Sigh...

This is the sad message that greeted me when I got home from work and flipped on the TV to catch the evening news.

The Tivo had been skipping and getting stuck this week, and I feared the end was near. It was a good little Tivo. It lasted 3 3.5 years. Looks like a trip to Best Buy is now on my schedule for the weekend, because once you've had Tivo, you cannot live without it.


UPDATE: After the full three hours, the Tivo was still choking on a reboot. I called Customer Service and they pronounced the time of death late last night. Now that the summer TV doldrums have arrived, there wasn't much / any content on the box I'll really miss. AND, as an existing customer and all that, I can upgrade to the newest Tivo which will interface with my wireless home network, has the ability to record two shows at once, or watch one thing while recording another, AND give me a $150 rebate on the new box, so a brand new Tivo will cost me a whopping $100. Not bad for something that lasts 3-4 years, and makes the little TV I do watch, much more enjoyable. For someone like me who isn't home a lot, it catches the odd documentaries and old movies I like along with the two or three series I usually watch. Now, instead of catching three or four episodes of a show all season long and trying to catch up, Tivo takes care of it. And not watching commercials anymore? Priceless.
posted by Broadsheet @ 6:44 PM  
8 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The horror!!!!

    I had a TiVo die on me a couple years ago. Luckily it died without much unwached content and early enough in the day I could go buy a new one.

    I feel your pain.

     
  • At June 23, 2007, Blogger danielle said…

    Oh no! I only have basic cable and no
    Tivo. I am jealous, but don't want to get used to such luxuries or I would watch too much tv. However, if my Ipod died, I would flip.

     
  • At June 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Something tells me that if you wanted to get adventurous, you could have two TiVos working. Essentially, from what you describe, it sounds like your internal hard drive went bad.

    Behold:
    http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html

    Hell, I would give it a whirl. Just think: two TiVos. ;-)

     
  • At June 23, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    JJT: Yeah - the hard drive crapped out on me according to the helpful tech who dialed into it and diagnosed it. Aside from not really understanding most of the instructions on that link, I think $100 for a half hour of hooking up and programming a new one, puts me way ahead of spending all that time replacing the hard drive, and to be honest, I don't watch enough TV to warrant two Tivos. I can barely keep up with the recordings on one!

     
  • At June 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait - You're a blogger and you need the teevee to get your news?

     
  • At June 24, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    DUDA: The evening news is more of a comforting, automatic habit, when I come home from work and need to zone out for an hour or so while I'm making and eating dinner. I'll even Tivo that so if I work late, I can still have my zone time later. Kind of like my Sunday morning fixation with CBS Sunday Morning and the dead tree version of the Sunday NYT over coffee.

    It's the little things in life....

     
  • At June 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like most things these days it is cheaper to just buy a new item rather than fix the old one.

     
  • At June 25, 2007, Blogger Summer said…

    I would have cut you a deal on my unused Tivo... see, we have 2, but once we got the HDTV, we couldn't use the regular Tivo anymore because it would "interefere" with the HD programming. Or something. And the HD-Tivo is way out of our price range. So it's just sitting on the floor collecting dust. It makes me sad just thinking about it. And I REALLY miss Tivo. Sure, we still have it for the dinky tv, but not for the one I like to watch. I guess this is one of the smaller problems in life, really. ;-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER