isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, June 18, 2007
Committed
Well, there's no going back now. I went ahead and bought my airline tix to China today. I've been watching the prices and availability from both Dulles and BWI, and the direct flights out of Dulles are actually about $150 more and a lot more hassle (getting a shuttle to Dulles or paying parking costs for 2.5 weeks). Also, the only non stop carrier out of Dulles right now is Continental, which I never fly otherwise, and I can fly out of BWI on United all the way there and back and rack up the frequent flyer miles.

I can get a friend to drop me off, fly out of BWI, connect in Chicago, and the only thing I add in terms of time, is the 2 hr. flight + 1 hour layover at O'Hare. Otherwise the flight to Beijing is only 13 /14 hours or so whether I leave from Dulles or Chicago (they fly over the North Pole). Last time I went to Australia, it took a total of 31 hours of flight time to get to Brisbane.

By checking pricing and seat availability for the last eight weeks or so, I wanted to make sure I could get a decent seat on the Beijing leg of the trip - and they are really filling up pretty quickly, so I grabbed an aisle seat while they were still available.

I can still change the dates of the flights, but one way or another - I'm going to have to go to China.

Now, I just have to get the visa application filled out, drive to DC, get it approved, and I'm all set! Normally, whatever tour group I traveled with would take care of securing a visa for me, but since I'm going as a private citizen, I either have to hire someone to process it on my behalf, or take a 1/2 day off work and show up at the Chinese Consulate myself. Hiring someone costs about $100, and I think the interview process will be interesting. Besides, between photos, passport, renewals and visa fees, it's already nearly $200 just to get the paperwork to get into the country.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:47 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW! And here I am feeling all world-traveled b/c I'm going to very English language friendly Oslo for a week with a regular ol' U.S. passport with no paperwork in between! ;-)

    "...the flight to Beijing is only 13 /14 hours or so..."

    Can't wait to read Broadsheet's Adventures!

     
  • At June 19, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Would you like some book recomendations for your flight? :)

     
  • At June 19, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    MS: Sure! I'm hoping the in flight movie is one I haven't seen yet, and unlike driving, I intend to get some sleep, but I can always use a good book recommendation.

     
  • At June 19, 2007, Blogger danielle said…

    Wow. Have you read Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan. It's about a tour group's trip to Myanmar. They spend a week in China.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER