isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Damsel in Distress
I'm not gone - it's just a little crazy this week.

1. Monday was the Perfect Storm in terms of key clinical staff people being out for legitimate reasons or emergencies, and I was left manning our Clinic single handedly with over 80 patients and three docs. Ever the worker bee, and none too high and mighty to get my hands dirty, I tossed on a pair of scrubs and a lab coat, canceled all my appointments for the day, and threw myself into the mix as flight deck controller.

One of our Fellows, Alex, ran up to me at 7:30 in the morning with a stack of charts and a worried look on his face. "Where's Audra?" (our regular clinic coordinator).

"Sorry buddy, you're stuck with me for the day - Audra's not here." He didn't say anything. He didn't have to. His entire face just melted into the universal expression for "OMG - we are so F--ked." (later, he tried to brush it off by saying it was an expression of respect for me stepping into the role, and he was impressed that I would do it.... but we all know he thought I was going to take the clinic down in flames).

Actually, I had fun (minus the blisters from running around), I got a lot of points from my staff for pitching in, and learned a lot about the day to day realities. I round on a daily or weekly basis, but I may try to carve out a half a day a month in the clinic and my operating rooms to keep a deeper connection on a regular basis.

BTW, I only lost one patient on Monday. For four hours. So sue me. I found him, everything is fine.

2. In other damsel in distress news... my next door neighbor's cat ran up my tree this evening and despite all efforts, was too chicken to climb down the 30 degree angle of a limb, and was starting to panic. My neighbor was getting frantic because his bride of less than a month was due home any second, dotes on her pets, and doesn't permit them to go unleashed, which is exactly what new hubby did.

Dead. Man. Walking.

That was, until I called the other handy neighbor, the supremely tall Dutch guy one house over who happens to have a 10 foot ladder which he graciously shares for just such an occasion.

Fast forward - kitten rescued - new wife none the worse for not telling. Whew!!

Tomorrow, a couple of friends and I are attending the 11th Annual Traditional Beverage Tasting at Hopkins.

Traditional Beverages

Friday, I am driving 6 hours to meet the Art History prof sister and attend Quilt National in Athens, OH, before driving another 4+ hours north to the Peoples Republic of Western PA.

Can anyone recommend a good 10 hour audiobook from iTunes?
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:14 PM  
5 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 14, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Harry Potter?

     
  • At June 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Try Sarah Vowell's _Assassination Vacation_ or _The Partly Cloudy Patriot_.

    Or you can go with our choice for our impending trip to Pittsburgh: _Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease_ by Sharon Moalem

     
  • At June 14, 2007, Blogger acw said…

    Areas of my Expertise by John Hodgman is about 7+ hours and pretty fun.

    I might be able to email it.

     
  • At June 14, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Awesome folks - thanks! I'll check them out. Actually I need to kill about 15 hours of total drive time in the next 72 hours - so maybe I can get two.

     
  • At June 14, 2007, Blogger Jamaila said…

    How do I get on the list to get invitations and notices of all these ridiculously cool events you go to?

    Also, Snay is right -- the Harry Potter audiobooks are surprisingly good. And ACW is apparently aware that John Hodgman is awesome.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER