isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, May 31, 2007
I'm such a geek
I'm watching the Scripps National Spelling Bee and trying to beat 12 year olds by typing in my best guess as to the spelling of the word into an online dictionary on my laptop without looking to see if I'm right.

So far, so good, with 6 kids left.

I'll let you know when I lose (and I will). I almost blew it on "Cilice".

The girl that lost on that word was on the right track. She asked if it was derived from the Latin "Cilia" which represents hair, or flagella on protozoa. Sadly, it is actually derived from a geographical location, not biology.

9:45 - Five left. I am SO glad I've had even a little bit of French, an exposure to German, and a lot of Russian. A heavy background in science and medicine doesn't hurt either. But then again, I'm in my forties - these are little kids.

9:56 - I'm OUT. First word of the third round "zoilus" - Greek origin, "one given to unjust findings or quibbling" (a carping critic). Ironically, Zoilus was a Greek grammarian.

10:00: CRAP - they give the previous kid a word like "zoilus" and the next word is "papparadelle"????? WTF? How easy is that? I forgot to mention a minor in foodie.

10:13: - CRAP++ The next word is "yosenabe" - another food term I know!!

10:15: Holy Double CRAP - the winning word is "serrefine" - a small forceps for clamping blood vessels. In. My. Sleep.

In other news - I can't believe I just live blogged a spelling bee.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:49 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 01, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    How can you miss "cilice"? Didn't you read The Da Vinci Code?????

     
  • At June 01, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    jwer: Yes - that's why I didn't miss it! Also, having once attended Catholic Church helps.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER