isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Inspirational

“Oh, God, no,” she said. “It’s just me against me. I want to run 2:50 at age 50.”

If she averages 6 minutes 30 seconds a mile, she will reach her goal of 2 hours 50 minutes. Her career best is 2:21:21, but that was 23 years ago over Chicago’s flat course.

“This will be my fourth Olympic trials,” she said. “I qualified for all of the previous six, but in 1988 I just had Abby and in 1992 I had a full mother load with two small children. But I’ve always had the urge to run.”

Samuelson said she used to run 120 miles a week. “Now I’m down to 70 or 80,” she said. “That’s all I can do.”

------Olympic Marathoner Joan Benoit Samuelson

UPDATE: I stand corrected. THIS is the most inspirational person of the day:



Meet Buster Martin. He ran the London Marathon today and he's 101 years old!!
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:26 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 14, 2008, Blogger trigimper said…

    old Buster seems to be a bit of a fake...

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3740118.ece

    Shame. :-(

    4 of the Masai finished...

     
  • At April 14, 2008, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    But really, I could only hope to walk 28.6 miles at the age of 94!! I mean, I think they are splitting hairs at this age. I loved the fact that he stopped halfway for a pint!

     
  • At April 15, 2008, Blogger trigimper said…

    I kind of agree with you, but the presence of Max Clifford leads one to believe there is quite a bit of wool being pulled over the eyes.

    Yet there are plenty of folks to truly admire who don't possess the inestimable PR talents of MR Clifford - in Ironman finishes into their 80s - Jim Ward, Norton Davey, Bill Bell, or Sister Madonna Buder (yes, an Ironman nun). Though for inspiration I invariably come back to Rick and Dick Hoyt.

    http://tinyurl.com/5y6jzf

    ps....its 26.2 miles..how the 0.2 came to be added and why is a good pub trivia question.

     
  • At April 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Run, Forrest! Run!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER