isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Goals
Maybe it's an artifact from yet another birthday last week, but you have to have goals in life, and some of them need to be big, hairy, audacious goals (as my ex CEO used to say). I've achieved a couple of those goals recently, and now I need to focus on the next big thing.

I was offered an opportunity to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro today.

Not until January of 2009, but you know what? That may be the best BHAG (big, hairy, audacious goal) I could possibly shoot for. It's definitely on my bucket list - so why the hell not? I mean, Martha Stewart climbed it in her 50's for Christ's sake.

I can never run a marathon. I simply do not have the knee cartilage left to do it, thanks to injuries when I was younger. BUT, I like to hike, and I need to get Africa off my "1,000 places to see before I die" list. This opportunity includes a week hiking and camping on Kilimanjaro, and a week of more luxurious accomodations, on safari in Tanzania.

I just feel like I need to really push myself beyond PLANNING for the next adventure to DOING the next adventure. Part of this, is my frustration at not being able to hike the entire distance of Great Wall of China as much as I would have liked to when I was there (due to fitness issues - not timing issues), mixed with my utter joy of being able to experience to the Great Wall of China in the first place. It's also tied to the awe of my Beijing host (and partner in age), BB, who is going to run the Great Wall of China 1/2 Marathon next month, and a coworker, who is going to do a FULL Ironman Triathalon (full = 2 mile swim, 110 mile bike ride and full marathon) in May to raise monies for her 10 year old son who is suffering from leukemia.

...AND she never ran a step, or swam a lap until last year.

Now THOSE are goals.

I wish you could swim to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro - that? I could do.

Time to call the personal trainer.....
posted by Broadsheet @ 11:36 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It just dawned on me (here in London) seeing as I'm not behind the great firewall of China this week I can actually post a comment. The muzzle is off...it feels good.
    So, to clarify the Great Wall Marathon is not entirely on the Wall. It starts and ends on it...the intervenng stretch is through countryside in the shadow thereof. BTW, I've signed up with the MS society of MD, so I'll be in contact for $ponsor$hip. 29 more training days....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER