isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Cheap Motel Blogging
Greetings from somewhere in upstate NY. I say somewhere, because you can't see a thing outside. It's all fogged in up here. Grey and rainy and foggy and cold. Blegh.

No pretty drive around the lake, no trip to the state park to hike the gorge and see the waterfall, no pretty wineries. Double Blegh. I'm going to try and find the Corning Glass Museum, and stop at Moosewood for a late lunch of hot soup and then keep heading west to NY's other shoreline - Lake Erie and my sister's house.

Yesterday's drive started out very sunny and bright, and I enjoyed taking all the back roads through the Connecticut countryside, but it took longer than I intended, and I hit a wall of clouds at the NY state line. So, instead of a sunny, pretty, fall drive through the Catskills, it was rainy, snowy, foggy and dark. Just makes for a tired Broadsheet when I finally got to the motel last night around 7:30.

The motel is classic - my car is parked right outside the door. It's clean, has a coffee maker, fridge and microwave, and a shower with plenty of hot water, so for $60 a night - including breakfast, not a bad deal.

Except for the barking dog at 7:00 this morning. Took me a minute to realize it wasn't a dog, but the woman in the next room yelping. Wonder if she sits, begs and rolls over? I betchya she does.

Gotta love a cheap motel.
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:36 AM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At November 20, 2007, Blogger danielle said…

    I hope the next portion of your drive is better. I love cheap motels. One of my favorite pictures of me and my grandparents is from when I was about 5 years old. We were outside such a motel and I was clutching my strawberry shortcake suitcase.

     
  • At November 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The place to visit is Dr. Konstantin Frank's Vinifera Vineyards. It's around the middle of the western edge of Keuka lake in the Finger Lakes.

    Seriously, if you're anywhere nearby, it's worth a stop.

    mokiejovis

     
  • At November 20, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Mokie - All over it baby! I have half a case of Thanksgiving wine from Dr. Frank in my car as we speak.

    The friend I visited in RI is also an award winning amateur winemaker, and I have some of her Port, Reisling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Malbec in the car as well. She rocks!

     
  • At November 20, 2007, Blogger Alex said…

    I love it upstate, right where 15 meets up with 86/17. Aside from the views (obfuscated by the fog) my favorite part is the air. So clean. So not polluted. Beautiful scenery on the way up to Corning, Elmira, or Rochester.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER