isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Monovision
I've been severely nearsighted my entire life. Started wearing coke bottle lenses when I was only six years old. I've worn contacts since the age of 15.

Until I turned 40. That was the year I got reading glasses to go along with the contact lenses. Happy Birthday! Nothing special, just your $10 pair from Rite Aid at the lowest magnification. At first, I didn't need them for everything, just small maps, dark restaurants, small print on instructions, that sort of thing.

Well, that was then, and this is now. Over the course of the last year, I have become increasingly dependent on the suckers, to the point where they are hanging off the edge of my nose for most of the day. I can't even cook dinner and read the recipe or the back of a box without them. It's annoying.

So I got my eyes checked last week, and today I got fitted for new lenses. I'm trying the notion of "monovision" to get rid of the reading glasses. My dominant eye (in my case, my right eye) is corrected for distance vision. My left eye is "dumbed down" to let my near vision be sharper.

I was leary at first, but a couple of colleagues have tried it, and swear by it. No more reading glasses. They say it takes a few weeks for your brain to adjust to the different strengths at the right times, but eventually, you don't notice the difference.

Well, I'm trying them. The difference isn't as drastic as I expected it to be, but it does take a second to adjust when you're reading, and then look up, and vice versa. I'm thinking that night driving is going to be the real test, and my depth perception is a little off, but I'm willing to give it a try if it means I can avoid wearing glasses again.

Meanwhile, I did get an eyeglass prescription for bifocals when I'm not wearing my contacts.

I REALLY hate getting older.
posted by Broadsheet @ 4:45 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER