isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
3 homicides reported in city shootings
The mean street of Baltimore are getting meaner every day.

And lately, it's affecting people I know. We read about it every day, but often it seems like it's happening to other people, in other cities. Not so, and I'm sick and tired of taking it for granted.

First, Anger Hangover writes about the shootings and other deadly goings on down in her neighborhood, Pig Town.

This followed by my buddy JJT, whose new home was broken into and vandalized.

Last week, my neighbor Jwer's Evil Practical Mobile (EPM), was totaled after it was inadvertently involved in a triple shooting / homicide.

Early Saturday morning - just after midnight, I was awakened from a sound sleep by repeated rounds of shotgun and automatic weapon fire a block (or less) from my house, and called 911.

And today, I read what was perhaps the most chilling and disturbing post of all from our friend Epiphany (who, can I just say, is one of the hardest working, noble kind of guys there are? Really, we all owe him a debt of thanks for trying to make our public schools a better place, and for giving our children a better future), who witnessed the eerie ritual of a Bloods Dance in the middle of a busy intersection, celebrating the shooting of another rival gang victim.

Forty Seven young Americans have lost their lives in Baghdad since the beginning of this year. Baltimore has had 63 homicides in the same period.

Tell me, what city is safer? Baghdad or Baltimore?
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:58 AM  
11 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For residents I think Baltimore is safer. Your Baghdad death total is just US casualties, not the locals.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Oh - I agree. But if I were a young black male, who dropped out of highschool, with no good prospects, I think I'd take my chances in Baghdad.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    “...young black male” in the game or out of the game? If I was an innocent Iraqi citizen in Baghdad, I don’t think that there would be a question. I would be ten times more likely to want to take my chances in Baltimore. If I was an innocent Baltimorean citizen, black/white/young/old/male/female, I would still prefer to take my chances in Baltimore than serving in Iraq. But yes, overall, statistically speaking, it is only slightly more dangerous to serve in Iraq than to live in Baltimore when you take into account length of tours and number of service personnel who have served and compare it to overall Baltimore homicide rates. And 2007, comparatively speaking, has been a notably “safe” year in Iraq for American service personnel. But that’s the problem of using raw stats for this comparison, it misappropriates more than it enlightens.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Again - I totally agree when you get down to discrete demographics. And the point was not to enlighten as much to highlight - or perhaps shock - us into doing something about both situations.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    So, what, I don't even get my own link??? It is somewhat comforting that it's not just me, though. I wish it were no one.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Jwer - fixed it! Sorry, sadly, it was very linky.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, the greater problem is the statistical distribution of crime. It is, unfortunately, grossly exaggerated in some areas and barely visible in others. Additionally, while enjoying my current non-working state--I was informed that a crime barrier is going to be erected in my neighborhood in the coming weeks. That should be interesting.

    That said, I still am a bit perplexed on how exactly to combat the crime. I really think a crackdown approach needs to occur, along with the residents getting a bit more involved.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    A good bit of the crime would at least relocate if more developers would focus on parts of the city that aren't already fine; the police are under tremendous pressure, but they are under particular pressure to ensure safety in areas of relative economic boom. So what do developers do? Build giant condos in places that are already out of reach for most prospective homeowners, and make no effort to build in borderline areas. I was very pleased to learn of the condos going in on Howard and Madison, however.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger epiphanyinbmore said…

    Thanks for the kind words, Broadsheet. And, you're right, it was very chilling.

     
  • At March 22, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    If you look on my blog and see the high ranking blak cities you will see a pattern of crime. What people don't know is these places have been blak cities for the longest. They knew we were going to stay in and around these places and allow the conditions to exist. How do you have a baseball field and football field in a town with so much poverty? They don't build the hood, they need the hood to sell the drugs so they can fill the prisons and feed the c o family. Most prisons are in places where the whites populate. Go to the prisons outside of the city and most are in the mountains. Jessup is blak but look how corrupt they say it is. Now bloods are running the prisons. They need to realize the system is their enemy not crips and vice versa.
    You all can find me on myspace. My name is nowtheledge. Look me up under that on myspace.
    If anyone in park heights or around know an older guy named Curtis Echols leave his info on myspace or tell him to hit me there. He is a long lost friend. His wife named Crystal.

     
  • At March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I only really write about the gunshots that happen either directly in front of or behind my house! And where I live is just one small block in one Baltimore City neighborhood.

    I think since you've posted this entry there have been four(?) more homicides in Bodymore, Murdaland.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER