isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Frequent Flier
Hah! I have enough frequent flier miles on Southwest to fly RT to Los Angeles for free. From there, I can fly to Beijing for less than $800 RT. Sweet!! And of course, I have no hotel costs for the first half of the trip thanks to my gracious hostess with the mostest in China.

Alternatively, I could save the frequent flier miles and get a direct flight from Dulles for about $1,250, which actually, might be a lot less hassle.

Then again, my friends in LA has been bugging me for a visit. I could tie a couple of days on in LA on the way there or back and see them, or just save the miles for a separate trip later. I'm already planning on being out of the office for 2+ weeks.

And lastly, dear friends of mine are getting married in Holland about the same time I wanted to head to China. Dare I try to get to Holland for their wedding and then proceed to Beijing with an around the world ticket? That would mean a three week trip for sure, but around the world tickets start at only $1,300 and go up from there with limited airports and dates.

I paid about $1,300 to fly to Brisbane, Australia from Philly a little more than a decade ago, which at the time, was a real bargain.

Despite inflation, rising gas prices, etc., there is no doubt about it - air fare has gotten a lot cheaper (relatively) over time.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:35 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 22, 2007, Blogger Charissa said…

    I HATE traveling, but I am suddenly very jealous. California? China? Holland? Goodness, B.

     
  • At March 22, 2007, Blogger tfg said…

    I'm such a putz. I've got 10 days off and a valid passport. Where am I going? Indiana.

     
  • At March 23, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    tfg: You need better friends. I have raised the art of recruiting and retaining friends in exotic places to an art form. I'm a world class free loader when it comes to international travel.

    But I hear Indiana is nice too.

     
  • At March 23, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    A three week trip? Enjoy it, Broadsheet! Send me a post card from China!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER