isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, September 23, 2006
The Good, the Bad, and the downright ugly.....
The Good: There are many! First day of fall, and it's a cool cloudy one. I bought a bunch of books at Daedalus Books, (that place is dangerous!) last week including something I need like a fish needs a bicycle. Another cookbook. Worse yet, another Asian cookbook. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a "tiny" cookbook addiction. I'm sure there is a 12 step program out there for this ("Hello, my name is Broadsheet, and I can never have enough curry recipes"), but for now, they are crammed onto a tall bookcase in the corner of my kitchen. They are quickly threatening to outgrow that space and are starting to pile up in the living room and the bar cart. I have an entire shelf dedicated to cookbooks from one Asian country or another. Still, it's a beautiful book, and I enjoyed watching football while putting sticky notes on the pages for the recipes I want to make. Oh, that's perhaps the best good thing of all today; fall = College Football!! Wisconsin tackles Michigan, followed by Penn State and my other pseudo alma mater (I did a post grad fellowship there) - the mighty Buckeyes of Ohio State. That game is tough to play favorites since two of my siblings went to PSU, and there is some definite Lion Pride in our family this time of year. But I really am partial to the Buckeyes - sorry sibs!

The Bad: After beating them 23 - 20 last year, my Bucky Badgers lost to the mighty Michigan Wolverines after being ahead by 7 in the first quarter.

The Ugly: They lost by 14 points. 27-13. Bret Bielema is the new coach, and at 36, is one of the two youngest coaches in college football. He has such huge shoes to fill now that Barry Alvarez has retired. I was really hoping the Badgers would come out strong in their first Big Ten showing, but it was not to be... Better luck next week.

Now - off to the grocery store to get everything I need to make a big pot of "Kelia Sumatera", or Sumatran Beef Curry. Indonesian and Sumatran cooking are among my favorites. They aren't called the Spice Islands for nothing, and I find that their curries have a brighter, more fragrant, richer, taste than many of their Indian curry counterparts, which sometimes lack the richness and bright flavor of lime leaves, or the thick texture from ground candlenuts and coconut milk. Anyway, a DVD and some red wine - it will be a good Saturday night despite the ugly football loss. Comfort food.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:09 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At September 24, 2006, Blogger Charissa said…

    I appreciate the Buckeye love. I went to Kent State, but since I'm from the state of Ohio, and Kent stinks at almost every sport, I support the Buckeyes, too.

     
  • At September 24, 2006, Blogger tfg said…

    Actually, I think that's pronounced Kama Sutra.

     
  • At September 24, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Charissa: Oh baby - did you WATCH that game??!! That was some awesome football. I had to call my brother after that last interception touchdown just to rub it in.

    tfg: Sure tasted like it..... ;-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER