isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, July 05, 2006
It's all depends on your point of view
Since I moved to the city, I've gotten used to, and in fact covet, many of the cultural treasures, that others might view as oddities. In addition, Bolton Hill, has the added eye candy of Artsafarian/MICA students serving as barristas in our favorite cafes and bistros, and some VERY colorful 'hos plying their most ancient of trades on my corner at 3:00 AM. Nevertheless, you can never really be prepared for what you'll see or hear on my street, or in my neighborhood, on any given day.

A few months ago, I had a bagpiper on my street. This evening, as I was driving down Mt. Royal Terrace, there was a man with long hair, glasses, and baggy shorts, walking along like he had NOT a care in the world and was strumming a BANJO. AND...it was pouring rain. Vicious, late afternoon, summer storm, rain. Didn't bother him one bit.

I love this neighborhood.

Soooo....I got home and was still marvelling over the itinerant banjo player, and how much I love my neighborhood, and then I got quick emails from my friend L, in London, and my Aussie houseguests of last week:

Brit: "Have tickets for Wimbledon (Court 1) tomorrow. Next week am off to Dublin to look after nieces and nephews again....and then I head to Normandy (France) to hook up with my friends from Atlanta. "

Aussies: "Loved seeing you! Paris was lovely, and the house in the South of France is everything we'd hoped for. You must come to Melbourne soon. XXOO"

I have to say - I miss them both terribly, and I hope they know that.

But somehow, I kinda think that last evening's impromptu, 4th of July hangout at the last minute, on a gorgeous summer evening with neighbors and good friends, was every bit as exotic in its own way. Certainly as memorable, and with the tease of strolling banjo minstrels in your backyard....

Hmmmm ...just depends on your point of view. The view from here is pretty damn good.

(Although - my friends' places in Melbourne and London both rock, and I'd love to visit then again.) As with anything in life - it's the people - not the place - that make moments special. And if I ever get to a house in the South of France - I'll be sure to tell you just how special it is.....

Speaking of neighborhood, - They are starting to put up the sculptures, installation pieces, and wiring for Artscape!!!
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:12 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ---Dublin, London, Normandy...we don't do backyard impromptus on this side of the pond. There's nowhere like Bolton for real living: and you don't need me to tell you! Still missing being there.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER