isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, May 01, 2006
Vacation Planning
I finished up confirming and making plans for my upcoming vacation over the weekend, and I am REALLY looking forward to it. After last year's tragically aborted vacation, I have high hopes for this year's attempt at some much needed R&R. The first real vacation I've taken other than Holidays and one or two long weekends, since I started this job last summer.

Toward the end of this month, I have a conference to attend at a nice resort / spa in Phoenix for a few days, which should be nice enough in itself. In addition to indulging in some of the services the spa has to offer, I'm hoping to find time to go to the Phoenix Botanical Gardens, and the Heard Museum. After the conference, I'm renting an SUV and heading north to Sedona, and will stay there through Memorial Day. In addition to all the great scenery, shopping and hiking to be had in Sedona, I've never been to the Grand Canyon, so I've planned an overnight trip there to see the South Rim and do some hiking. I rented a cabin for the night in the Park, and made helicopter reservations to take a sunset flight over the Canyon and the Painted Desert.

On the way back through Flagstaff, I hope to spend some time visiting Wupatki National Monument, the Sunset Crater Volcano, and Walnut Canyon. It's a pretty ambitious list, but I really loved this part of the country the first time I visited my folks out in Sedona, and want to see a lot more of it.

Now, I just have to wait.....
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:24 AM  
7 Editorial Opinions:
  • At May 01, 2006, Blogger Cham said…

    That sounds like a wonderful vacation. You probably want to purchase one of these. I learned the hard way they are not transferrable.

    I'm working out of my home at my new job today. It's kind of lonely, and, like you did, it will be a while before I get another vacation. :(

     
  • At May 01, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Cham - thanks for the NPS lodging link! Since I'm only going to be there one night, and since I'm just going to crash and grab a shower, I opted for a cabin. I'm not the uber hiker you are in terms of elevations (yet), but I've mapped out a couple of nice, semi-demanding treks in Sedona, Grand Canyon and the monument areas of Flagstaff. Looking forward to a lot of swimming as well. Yeah - I was hoping to use my parent's NPS pass - no go.

     
  • At May 01, 2006, Blogger Cham said…

    At Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon they cross checked the name on the driver's license.

    If you have somebody else's parks pass they might figure it out, although the only name on the pass is the signature. They may not see a different first name if the signature is muddled. The park's pass of your friend or relative gets red marked when you attempt to use it unsuccessfully. 3 red marks and it is confiscated so they told me.

    The entrance gate rangers also take on a little bit of an attitude when you try to pull a fast one like that. Say hi to my buddy at the entrance of the Grand Canyon for me.

    The cabins in the GC looked nice and cozy.

     
  • At May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll be in Las Vegas 3 June to 6 June, wanna come and play?

    C

     
  • At May 02, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    C - Seriously??!! Oh, that's so tempting. I'm gonna nhave to take this conversation off line for consideration...... YAY

     
  • At May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds wonderful! I was just telling E last night about my desire to visit that area of the country. You think you could tuck me into your suitcase?

     
  • At May 02, 2006, Blogger Cham said…

    If you go to Vegas then you can visit Hoover Dam and Lake Powell as well. There is a big big push to turn newly exposed Glen Canyon into the latest National Park. The pictures people are taking of that place are spectacular.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER