isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, May 29, 2006
Airport Blogging
Thanks to the folks at Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, who graciously provide free wi-fi in the airport, I am waiting for my 5:30 flight back to Bawlmore.

Things I saw in AZ: Elk, Condors, Snakes, Scorpions, a Coyote, Mule deer, jackrabbits, a Great Horned Owl, lots of lizards, ground squirrels, tons of western songbirds (I broke down and bought a little book to identify some of them).

Things I got in AZ: Freckles, a painful sunburn on the backs of my legs hiking, a nasty gash from a close encounter with an overly aggressive agave plant out on the trail (squished blood in my shoes the rest of the hike), 6 broken fingernails, a bloody nose from the high altitude and dry air, and a rash. I'm guessing the rash is a combination of sunblock, sun and sweat, but my arms are all bumpy.

Things I didn't get to do in AZ: For those of you familiar with my various vacation mishaps, you will be glad to know that my reputation remains intact. Despite all the truly wonderful things I got to see and do on this trip, I had planned to take a sunset helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon and the Painted Desert. Due to really high winds at the Canyon both of the days of my visit, all the helicopter tours were grounded. Disappointed, but understandable. It just meant I had that money to put toward the jewelry I ended up purchasing, and the tour company gave us tickets to the IMAX movie of Grand Canyon which featured their helicopters swooping through the Canyon and over the Colorado River, so it was a virtual thrill ride.

Hope you all had a terrific Memorial Day weekend, and if you have a chance to see it, don't miss this evening's broadcast of the HBO Documentary Baghdad ER. I listened to Terri Gross's interview of the film's directors on the drive down to Phoenix, and it sounds like a really compelling documentary that everyone should try and see. I'm sure parts of it are very difficult to watch, but it portrays the horrors of war, and the heroes that war creates.

Time to go through security and wait at the gate. The mere thought of going back to work tomorrow is rapidly undoing all the rest and relaxation I got on this trip.
posted by Broadsheet @ 7:08 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At May 29, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    So far, Broadsheet, your vacation certainly sounds like a perfect one. Besides, if you had gone on a chopper ride, can you imagine the post you'd be writing?

    "...so the pilot had to set down IN the grand canyon because of mechanical failure, and we're all lucky we didn't get charbroiled, then we had to hike out of the canyon, and while that was fun, we then had to hike out of the canyon except a bunch of cayotes were following us so I chopped off my arm and fed it to them and we were then able ..."

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER