isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, February 20, 2006
Budget Battles
Please excuse the fact that I will be laying low this week. It's budget prep week here. Our fiscal year starts July 1, and this being my first year here - I now have to build a budget that I own and am accountable for. So far, I've just been managing the one I inherited, and I don't think much time or planning has gone into the process in the last two years. Re: a complete and total mess.

It's like teaching a college class for the first time: preparing the reading list, syllabus, gathering slides, doing the lecture outlines and notes, etc.... A royal time suck the first time, but after giving it a trial run, you tweak what works, eliminate what didn't, and keep it updated and fresh from there on out.

Sadly, there is woefully little automated on-line financial data here. I get tons of paper from a variety of sources and systems (Human Resources, Accounts Payable, Professional Billing, Development, etc.), and then there are the Endowment Accounts which are just a black hole of slush funds and entitlements with very little history to work from since - well, they are Endowment Accounts. The biggest time suck thus far has been to build complex spreadsheets with macros allowing me to perform pro-formas and foot everything to a master budget. That alone took me all day Friday working from home and most of yesterday.

Once they're done however, I'll have a tool I can use to manage everything and just pop the numbers in next year, and hopefully - voila!

So.... ah'lll beee bahck.
posted by Broadsheet @ 5:48 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 20, 2006, Blogger tfg said…

    A "black hole of slush funds" has a certain ring to it. Say, I've got this idea...

     
  • At February 20, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    I'm so with you.. I spent plenty of time trying to figure out a way to fund a trip to the Carribean, but it requires triple signature authority for a reason. That said, trying to BUDGET anything that may suddenly result in a NEED for a trip to the Carribean, is currently driving ME crazy.

     
  • At February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know you're busy...
    Do you have time to rant about this?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/17/business/media/17adco.html

    Words escape me to describe the mysogyny of the new VW ads. They are a thing of horror.

    But I would like to point out to VW that one effect they will surely have, is to prevent me from EVER buying a car from them.

    Ironically, I doubt women in Germany would put up with this drivel. Apparently VW saves it especially for us yakking annoying American females.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER