isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, October 31, 2005
What's a Modern Girl to Do?
Maureen Dowd has an excellent if not completely depressing essay in this morning's NYT. Some of the most depressing stats:?

Women moving up still strive to marry up. Men moving up still tend to marry down. The two sexes' going in opposite directions has led to an epidemic of professional women missing out on husbands and kids.

...among corporate executives who earn $100,000 or more, she said, 49 percent of the women did not have children, compared with only 19 percent of the men.

..."Nowadays," she said, "the rule of thumb seems to be that the more successful the woman, the less likely it is she will find a husband or bear a child. For men, the reverse is true."

A 2005 report by researchers at four British universities indicated that a high I.Q. hampers a woman's chance to marry, while it is a plus for men. The prospect for marriage increased by 35 percent for guys for each 16-point increase in I.Q.; for women, there is a 40 percent drop for each 16-point rise.
Sigh.....
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:12 AM  
5 Editorial Opinions:
  • At October 31, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    I seems the problem is that successful women still have it ingrained in their heads that they must marry up... or that men that are “low” tend to not marry “up.” Some things haven’t changed since the days of Jane Austen.

     
  • At October 31, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    These are obvious broad statements and many exceptions exist, but you're right. It's a wonder that the human race survives at all.

     
  • At October 31, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    yes, you’re right... exceptions do exist. Good thing too, as I plan to one day find a woman who can afford to keep me in the manner that I hope to become accustomed... or at least can afford to buy me digital cable (seriously, what else does a guy need). ;)

     
  • At November 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great minds think alike even if one of those minds is about a week behind in current events. I was going point you towards the Dowd article but will simply note that there are interesting discussions on this article linked through Amardeep Singh's blog. Apparently Dowd was on Fresh Air this week too which you can stream through the archives (but you knew that!).

    In any case, I have to say that the article rang mostly true for me. I may not pull down the big bucks as an academic but all evidence points to the idea that I have educated myself right out of the dating scene. Apparently in my attempt to balance out the cheerleader-sorority-and- oh-my-god-Jr.-Miss-pageant thing, I overshot the mark and missed my nano-second window of desirability during that transition. Note here that I am allowing for various outside factors such as my job in the hinterlands where the dating pool is very shallow for singles of both genders.

    I agree with Singh that the best thing about Dowd's article is her call to revisit the aftermath of 70s feminism today since I'd wager 95% of my ardently feminist students are apalled at the notion of being referred to as "feminist" let alone claiming that label for themselves.

    What was that old country song?...Sometimes It's Hard to Be A (financially independent, educated) Woman. Sigh.

     
  • At March 29, 2008, Blogger Angelina said…

    mmmmhh...I think woman who is tough and independent is a symbol of modern woman :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER