isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, March 05, 2005
Stroopwafel
I’m enjoying one of these this morning with my coffee. A Stroopwafel. I was able to find them at Zabars in NYC last weekend, and along with a big bag of Zabars French Roast coffee, I’m pretty much in heaven this morning and not wanting for a thing. Normally, I have to wait until my neighbor, Marcel, makes a trip home to Holland and rewards me for cat sitting by bringing me home a large box of Stroopwafel, along with Conimex Indonesian mixes and spices.

If you’ve never had a Stroopwafel, you don’t know what you’re missing. They’re specifically designed to be placed directly over a steaming cup of coffee or tea, and after a minute or two, the honey and caramel inside the butter wafers gets soft and chewy, and then,

Oh.
My.
God.

The Conimex spice packages allow me to make nasi goreng or bami goreng with the addition of fresh veggies, meat and the recipe I inherited for pinda saus (peanut sauce). I was first introduced to both of these culinary luxuries (now obsessions) by my Dutch roommate in graduate school, Charlotte. Charlotte is now a successful physician and pediatric diabetologist just outside of Amsterdam, and is married to Fritz, perhaps THE most gorgeous man on earth (with apologies to Hugh Grant). Fritz is a producer for Dutch public children’s television and the author of a couple of popular children’s books.

Charlotte was, and still is, unlike anyone I’ve ever met before. In addition to being the most gracious person I know, with a broadly funny, wicked sense of humor, she’s a classic Dutch beauty with porcelain, nearly transparent, skin, sky blue eyes, and waves and waves of the longest, blondest, curliest hair I’ve ever seen. Her brothers and sisters all have the same mop of curls in different shades of brown and blonde – it’s really amazing hair. Two of her three children now sport it as well – and they are all three completely Dutch towheads. They’re quite a sight cycling down the village road to the market on Charlotte’s Dutch “minivan”: a bicycle with a double child’s seat on the rear and one on the front, and two large side baskets for groceries. It looks like one of those circus bikes where a whole group of clowns piles on and tears around the ring. They are very routine in Holland, although I always felt a bit odd riding this mammoth bike with all its attachments around town whenever I visit. I also feel like the ugly stepsister whenever we all go out together. As an attractive family, they literally turn heads wherever we go – even in Holland where there are plenty of attractive people. Seriously, the Dutch are hot.

And they created stroopwafel. Pure genius those Dutch.

Now you’ll have to excuse me, I have a date with my coffee and the NYT. Life is good. Thanks Charlotte.

Now I just have figure out how to make this batch last until my next trip to NYC or Marcel goes home again, whichever is first. And if any of you are visiting Holland in the near future - please remember to bring me back a new supply. Thanks.
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:30 AM  
6 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER