isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
More Neighborhood Goodness
My garden gate requires that I go through a fairly elaborate routine to lock or unlock it. I have developed this routine over time, and it requires a complicated, coordinated, martial arts move of lifting the gate with my knee, shifting it to the right, and pressing the key in - all at the same time. Doing it with one hand is not an option. You have to set down the groceries, briefcase, etc., to accomplish the "Ninja Gate Move" accurately.

So imagine my amazement when I arrived home in between Board meetings last night, and immediately realized that the gate had been completely re-hung with all new hardware, the lock oiled, and it opened with an easy twist of the key - with one hand!

I had a cookout on Saturday evening which included the parents of my neighbors, who are here on their semi-annual three week visit from the Netherlands for the first time since the Dutch wedding invasion last fall. Dutch Dad discovered that my gate was an engineering challenge, and as a retired engineer, took it upon himself to unstick the situation.

He must spent have hours drilling the gate mounts into the masonry brick wall, re-mounting the hardware and re-hanging the gate. I couldn't get him to accept $$ other than to let me reimburse him for the hardware.

Did I mention I love my neighbors?? (and their parents??)
posted by Broadsheet @ 7:30 PM  
0 Editorial Opinions:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER