isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Little Holland
If you wander a certain block in Bolton Hill this weekend, you are far more likely to hear Dutch being spoken than English.

The pending nuptials of my Dutch friend and neighbor this weekend have resulted in an influx of some of the loveliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We're infested with them. Every guest room on my block - including mine - is inhabited with tall, pale, stoic, reserved, people.

I have to say, I honestly have never met a Dutch person I haven't really, really liked. From my first visit to Holland in the mid eighties where we stayed with the family of my father's colleague, to my Dutch physician roommate in graduate school and her family who took me on Holiday with them to the Friesan Island of Vleeland off the coast of Holland, to my neighbor and his family, I've been very lucky to have some of the nicest friends imaginable from the flattest country imaginable. They are funny, warm, gracious and they speak better English than most of us.

Add to them the bride's family from New Mexico, who I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting, and it's going to be a wonderful weekend.
posted by Broadsheet @ 6:12 PM  
6 Editorial Opinions:
  • At September 13, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    You say that, but have you tried Dutch salted licorice? You might reconsider...

     
  • At September 13, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    jwer: No, but they have stroopwaffel and pickled eel on a stick. You gotta love that.

     
  • At September 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are any of them single and hot? If so, can I come over?

    BJB

     
  • At September 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do any of them look like this guy?

    But seriously, one of my best friends is Dutch. His family is the coolest of the cool.

     
  • At September 14, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    I might, if I could get the memory of salted licorice out of my brain... seriously, those things are a war crime.

     
  • At September 14, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    And they have Droste' chocolate and great cheese - let's not forget those. Oh, and their beer is pretty good too.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER