isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
You have a lousy router
UGGGHGH - I could have told you that!

I just spent THREE hours on the phone with "Josh" the tech support guy from Linksys. I'm sure his real name was undoubtedly Jayadeep, and although he was VERY patient and kind - he was basically useless.

I'm beat. The thing is now completely and utterly farked and I'm frustrated beyond words. I'll explain tomorrow.

UPDATE: So I bought a Linksys router for $40 at Best Buy back in October. Brought it home, plugged it in, and voila! Worked just fine. I could get my non job work done (neighborhood stuff, League of Women Voters, personal finances and investments) in the evening on my laptop, blog, and still watch some Tivoed TV or a movie. That is, I could do it on an unsecured wireless connection, which I put up with until a few weekends ago. As soon as I tried to secure the network - BAM - my laptop would say it was connected, but I couldn't get to the Internet.

I tried EVERYTHING they recommended. Resetting the IP addresses, resetting the encryption from 11 bits to 6, downloading and updating the firmware, disabling the firewall, etc... I exhausted every on line help resource. So last night I finally called them. The first guy tried to take me through everything I had already tried and then said, "well, I guess you've tried everything I can handle", and transferred me up the technical food chain.

After three hours of more programming, rebooting, rerouting, and general frustration - even he gave up. When I tried to UNsecure the network back to all the defaults so I could continue using it - it's now completely useless. Both computers recognize and connect to the router, I just can't get to the Internet from that point.

Anyone else have any idea what I should try? I'm not wasting any more time on this - I'm getting a new one this weekend.
posted by Broadsheet @ 11:15 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had the same issue with a Linksys router. Fought with the effer for a year...would work for a while, then every month or so, go out and require a reset and total reprogram. Finally gave up, bought a new version of the same one and haven't had a problem for 2 years. Maybe urs really is farked and you need to start over...

     
  • At April 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You need to give me a ring/email to take a look at this. I have a couple of ideas, and I have had few problems with Linksys routers.

    You know how to jingle me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER