isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Chinese Fire Drill
I hate Hallmark. Today is "Professional Assistants Day". Once misogynistically referred to as "Secretaries Day". Good thing I fired one yesterday. Would have been REALLY awkward if the flowers and money had arrived today and I proceeded to fire her at 4:00 PM.

The physicians ordered flowers for all their personal assistants - on my credit card. I should get that back in, oh - three months or so (cough, never, cough).

We also agreed to give them each a small monetary gift out of our Endowment Account, but in order to do so, I have to pay for it and then seek reimbursement from the account directly, since there is no such thing as "petty cash" or a corporate credit card. Since the total amount far exceeds my daily withdrawal limit on my debit card, I needed to go to the bank, and I wanted to get crisp bills anyway.

I had a 7:45 meeting with my boss, and figured afterward, I could slip over to the Credit Union at the Mt. Washington Conference Center, get the cash, and be back by 9:00 AM.

Here's what happened:

1. Arrived Mt. Washington Credit Union at 9:01. The branch opens at 10:00.

2. Proceeded to the Hopkins branch on campus. Arrived 9:25. They also open at 10:00.

3. Decided that the Mt. Washington branch was at least closer to the office, and I was in a tow away zone at Hopkins, so I headed back to Mt. Washington. Arrived 9:47.

4. At 10:00 exactly, a fire drill emptied the building into the street for 25 minutes. At this point, I am NOT a happy camper.

5. 10:25 - enter Credit Union and ask to cash a check. Was told that this branch "doesn't carry cash". WTF??!!! What kind of a Credit Union doesn't have money?? "We just process loan applications, account management and deposits." At this point, I'm ready to go postal, don't feel well, and am REALLY late for work. Call ahead to cancel my 11:00 meeting.

6. Return to Hopkins campus at 11:00, get cash, and FINALLY get to my office at 11:27.

7. Spend another hour and a half writing a personal note in 27 cards, and addressing envelopes.

My day can now finally get under way.......
posted by Broadsheet @ 1:35 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see, you can deposit money, but you can't withdrawal it unless, of course, you take out a loan. Hmmmm.

     
  • At April 26, 2007, Blogger acw said…

    I'm sure someone will pay you the same respect on Human Resources Professionals day.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER