isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, April 19, 2007
CSI
When I got home from work this evening around 9:00 (I know - I hit 40 hours sometime Wednesday evening. I am SO going to Happy Hour tomorrow, it's been one of the hardest weeks of my career, stress wise. Thanks Zenchick).

Anyway, I opened my back gate and was immediately drawn to the center of my backyard, where all the signs pointed to a fierce and mighty struggle. It looked like a CSI crime scene. There were huge amounts of feathers laying in a depression in the center of the yard about 2 feet in circumference. Down feathers, pin feathers, and entire wing feathers. At the epicenter, were some feet, a few bones, a beak / skull, and that was pretty much the end of an unfortunate pigeon.

The perp was most likely a Peregrine Falcon. Peregrine Falcons are fastidious eaters. They do not like feathers. They pluck their prey completely clean before they eat it. This same scene happened in my yard about 4 years ago, during the big blizzard of 2003. In the height of the storm, a large Peregrine Falcon sat on my garden wall, ripping the feathers out of another pigeon. It was really ghastly, since all the feathers were landing on the white, snowy landscape, and there was a spray of crimson over the snow. I have photos of that - but it was before I got a digital camera, so no online pics.

Baltimore has a number of nesting Peregrine Falcons downtown. There's even a children's book about them.

The other damage was inside my house. Since this crime was committed in broad daylight, my cats were looking out the big picture window into the yard, and the sight of this frenzied feathered activity apparently drove them crazy. They trashed a screen in the window trying in vain to get at the bird massacre happening a few feet away.

So, it looks like Saturday is going to be a yard cleanup day, with a trip to the hardware store to build new screens.....
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:00 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 19, 2007, Blogger Jamaila said…

    Wait, wait, what happy hour? How come I'm not invited? Dammit! :P

     
  • At April 19, 2007, Blogger Charissa said…

    1. I wasn't invited either. What the?

    2. Gross, gross, gross. Did I say... gross?

     
  • At April 20, 2007, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    It's just Zenchick and I!!! We work at the same place and ran into each other in the parking garage, and one look at me told her I was having a bad week.

     
  • At April 20, 2007, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Are you going to keep the skull as a conversation piece?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER