isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, April 16, 2007
Bloodbath
We are in the final throes, death rattles really, of finalizing our FY08 budgets, and are struggling mightily to meet the enormous capital needs facing us over the next 3-5 years. I have slashed fat, embargoed vacant positions, and made other cuts to the point where I REALLY have to be good at what I do to live within my budget next year. Serious dieting.

And then at 4:00 this afternoon, I got the call that we were still short of our target as an institution, and now I need to make some very hard, painful, decisions about which staff to lay off. A bloodbath.

And just when I thought my day could not possibly get worse, I came home to a backyard full of debris from the storm, brand new lawn furniture scattered all over the place, a large branch hanging off my tree dangerously close to the roof, another that punched a hole in my deck, and worst, much worse by FAR, of everything that happened today, I came home to the horrors of the VA Tech massacre.

I immediately gained some much needed perspective on my issues.
posted by Broadsheet @ 7:54 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At April 17, 2007, Blogger tfg said…

    I'm sorry to hear that you have to cut staff. This is the real reason that I've shied away from managerial positions.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER