isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Friday, October 13, 2006
Friday the 13th
After last year's monumentally bad Friday the 13th, in which I got a speeding ticket, a flat tire, and was in a bank robbery all before 1:00 PM, I've been a little gun shy of this day.

Well, today is auspicious already. I got out of the shower and the power went out. I swear BGE hates my street. Our power goes out for no reason at least once a month. Anyway, I got dressed in the dark, put my makeup on by candlelight and came into work with sopping wet hair in 37 degree weather. Yay.

Then, just for laughs, I stopped for coffee. Turns out I grabbed a slightly mishapen paper cup that wouldn't allow the lid to fasten securely, and immediately spilled blistering hot coffee on my hand, the cuff of my fresh from the dry cleaner suit jacket, and across my pants. Yay.

And at 10:00, I have a meeting with the CEO of our entire health system to discuss a $3.5 million project with bad hair and coffee stains on my suit. Yay. I'm just sure that's going to go well.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: The meeting was both better and worse than I hoped. We are 3 weeks away from kicking off a major construction project, and in order to do it, I need to move about 20 people into temporary "swing space" for the duration of construction. Now, they tell me that there is no good, permanent location for these people on campus after construction, and they want me to completely redesign some space off campus to put them. The alternative space is much larger and has some strong advantages to the space we were going to build, but after 6 months of architectural meetings and trying to get consensus from a group of very strong willed individuals, it's like going back to square one. I'm also pretty sure that I am not going to get more than the $3.5 million originally budgeted for this project, and once again will have to paint a 3 bedroom house with one bucket of paint. I'm really glad it's Friday. Even if it is the 13th.

I'm going to a comedy show with a few characters that might also be bloggers (even if only when they challenge each other to post things) this evening. If nothing else, I've got a few good laughs to look forward to tonight.
posted by Broadsheet @ 8:49 AM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At October 13, 2006, Blogger jwer said…

    That sucks. All I've done today is find out that I am really, really broke. But I already knew that.

     
  • At October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had my purse stolen one Friday 13th. Lets not repeat that.

     
  • At October 13, 2006, Blogger Charissa said…

    Today was my last day at my old job... but I guess that was my own decision, so it may not qualify as a good Friday the 13th event. Damn.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER