isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, May 06, 2006
Painless - mostly
Well, the trip to the Mondawmin MVA to get a new driver's license was not nearly as bloggable as I would have thought. That's a good thing - I think. I got there early - before 9:00 AM, and waited in line for my ticket for about 25 minutes.

I had planned ahead and had my iPod, a recent issue of Vanity Fair, and a fully charged cell phone to while away my Saturday morning.

The cross section of Baltimore that goes to the Mondawmin MVA is pretty interesting. Of the 200 or so people there, I was one of probably less than 7 white people. Lots of gangsta hip-hop types, a handful of parents with their teenage kids waiting for driver's licenses, and then just the usual assortment of plain old people of all ages and sizes. There was a big teenager with a large black T-shirt that said "graduate from the HOOD", and another one with a copy of the LIFE cereal box, except that it said STREET LIFE, with a picture of the 'hood on it.

One casual observation however. Why is it that the guys wear those HUGE T-shirts that hang down to their knees, but then have the oversize baggy jeans that seem to hang on them magically below their butt?? Meanwhile, the women wear clothing that is 6 sizes too small when they are packing some serious booty? What's with that? I mean, I am not a small woman, but I wear comfortable clothes that FIT. I saw stuff spilling out of everywhere on these women, and it wasn't pretty. At. All. I mean, do they consciously think to themselves, "I'm not showing quite enough back fat - let's get one size smaller T-shirt", or "You know, these jeans just aren't low enough and tight enough to allow my belly to hang over to dimple the fat the way I like it, and still have my butt crack show at all times.". ICCCKKK.

After getting my ticket, I took my seat on one of the lovely, ever so comfortable metal benches, and after a phone call to my Mom, a friend in London, and getting a phone call from a neighbor about the guys doing construction in my yard, I only had time to read the "Letters to the Editor" and Graydon Carter's monthly rant before I was called to a booth.

Have to say, the MVA lady was actually nice, seemed to have a personality instead of being a souless, senseless shell of a state employee, and chatted with me while waiting for my card to process.

The experience wasn't too bad. Took a total of 80 minutes out of my day.

Despite the lack of inconvenience and frustration, one thing about the MVA remains true however: My driver's license photo sucks.
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:51 AM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At May 06, 2006, Blogger Cham said…

    People say such bad things about the Mondawmin MVA, but I always have good luck there. I can't say the same for Glen Burnie.

     
  • At May 08, 2006, Blogger Jen said…

    Yeah, and you've never been to the Essex MVA. You get to see a large cross section of their gene pool up close, and it's not pretty. Even so, I wouldn't mind going with a friend as Selma and Patty on Halloween.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER