isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Friday, June 10, 2005
The times, they are a changing
I quit my job today.




Yep - you read that right. Many of you know that I have been quietly interviewing for a new job the last few weeks / months, and after lots of meetings and lots of waiting, I received a formal offer on Tuesday, which, after some negotiating, we were able to reach agreement on terms, and I couldn't be happier.

At least, I THOUGHT I couldn't be happier. I've been here 10 years, and when the reality of telling people who are close to me, and more importantly, who had NO IDEA I was even considering such a thing hit home, the look of surprise and and shock on their faces was almost more than I could bear. I have a feeling that I'm going to go through a lot of tissue in the next few weeks as I say goodbye to many, many dear friends and colleagues. I already got a bit weepy with two of my doctors today, and that was before I even told my boss. So far, I've told only a dozen or so people, and I did formally resign my position effective July 1 to my boss, but I will publicly announce it on Tuesday at my staff meeting, and keeping my act together in front of them will be no easy task. I've asked my Chairman not to send out the mass email announcing my departure until I had gotten a chance to inform my staff, and close colleagues, in person.

So, the process is begun, and it cannot be stopped. I cannot take it back. Tonight I am going home to try and get my mind around everything I have to do in the next three weeks to leave this place in better shape than I found it, and to hopefully purchase tickets on-line to some remote island resort for a few days of total rest before I report to duty on July 11.

And tomorrow, I am going car shopping.... :-)

I try not to post specifically about work, or the people that I work with, so I won't go into detail about the new job here except to say that it is a wonderful, unexpected opportunity, and the chance to really develop something and put my mark on it. It's a chance to be a much bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond, to learn new things, to prove myself, and the best part of all, is that it's right here in Baltimore. I had always feared the fact that there are so few jobs at my level in this town, that in order to move up, I'd almost certainly be forced to move out of Baltimore. But by sheer luck, the best opportunity I could hope for fell in my lap, and I picked it up.

If there is any bad news in all of this, it will be that this blog will undoubtedly suffer from the pressure of a new job which is likely to consume me for the foreseeable future. I really appreciate the outlet it affords me, and I've met some terrific people through it (and you know who you are!), so I'll try to keep it up as best I can.

In other news, stay tuned for party information, because I am not going out of here without a celebration!!! I will be buying a round of drinks at the Baltimore Blogger Happy Hour next week - so come and get it.
posted by Broadsheet @ 4:55 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 10, 2005, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Congratulations, Linda! I think you should buy a Jeep.

     
  • At June 10, 2005, Blogger jennetic said…

    Congrats! I love a good new beginning! And the best thing about a blog: it will be waiting here for you, whenever you get the time. :)

     
  • At June 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um, aren't we supposed to buy *you* a drink?

    Congratulations on the new job. Granted I have no idea what you'll be doing, but it sounds like a really great change for you.

     
  • At June 24, 2005, Blogger Katie said…

    Congratulations. My relationship with you is only a few posts old, but I love hearing a success story.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER