isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, June 06, 2005
Self Competing is Self Defeating
So dear reader, I have this silly little self competition I go through every year, but I believe it's beginning to approach OCD status. The game goes something like this: I turn off the heat pump at the first sign of warmer weather, and then see how long I can go before succumbing to the seduction that is air conditioning.

I had a personal best this year in terms of the length of time I resisted temptation thanks to the cold, rainy spring coupled with a stretch of really beautiful weather here and there. So, I turned off the heat at the end of March, and despite a few really cold nights in early April where I did light a fire and threw a few extra blankets on the bed, the heat pump has stayed off - until last night.

I worked in the garden most of the day yesterday (the flowers look great!) and by 5:00 PM, I was a dirty, sweaty mess. I had made sure I stayed well hydrated thanks to a gallon of mint ice tea, but I was really overheated. I took a cool shower, but I simply couldn't cool off properly in the humidity, and I'm one of those people whose face glows BRIGHT red when they get overheated. So, I made a note on the calendar, and finally turned on the AC.

About an hour later, feeling much better, I went downstairs to the laundry room to throw a load of clothes and towels in the washer, and stepped into a pool of water! WTF? A quick check showed that the drainage pipe from the heat pump, had become dislodged from the drain into the sump pump, and was simply draining all the air conditioner's condensation onto the laundry room floor from the utility room. Luckily, it was a quick fix to redirect the drainage, I just had to mop up the vinyl flooring, and nothing had seeped out into the carpeted areas of the basement, but BOY! Am I glad I decided to put in a load of laundry when I did or my entire basement would have flooded by the time I got home this evening.

Given the fact that it's 91 degrees out right now, I'm thinking the AC stays on for now, but I miss having all the windows open.
posted by Broadsheet @ 5:25 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At June 07, 2005, Blogger deanne said…

    I love having the windows open! Air-con makes my skin go all dry, so most of the time I just suffer. Not that I have much choice, because here in London, we don't believe in air-con (not much point as it'd only be used for a month out of each year).

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER