isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
MSM - an endangered species?
There's been a lot of talk about the effect that blogs are having on mainstream media and what that may mean for the future of "traditional" news sources like TV and newspaper. I for one, also believe that the MSM has reached a bit of a crisis point and needs to adapt quickly or be rapidly left behind. But it isn't just the advent of the blogosphere than can be blamed for the decline in MSM - a lot of it has to do with corporate America.

The signs are everywhere. I had the chance to catch the Diane Rehm show today on my way down to Columbia for a business meeting. The guest was Tom Fenton, talking about his new book Bad News : The Decline of Reporting, the Business of News, and the Danger to Us All. Tom's premise is that the major newspapers and TV news broadcasting divisions have gone from public services to corporate machines, where profit and ratings (or circulation) become the Holy Grail, and they are treated by their ever changing corporate parents as cash cows. Add to this fact that ever since the fall of Communism in the 90's, and the corresponding rise of the internet and the dot.coms, that American MSM in particular gutted their ranks (in partcular, and almost exclusively, their international coverage) and therefore their ability to report on international news.

Is it a wonder that US citizens are so ill informed about Middle Eastern politics and the genocides in Africa? All we're treated to is a once sided view that terrorists are bad and will do anything to harm America. Where is the reporting on the culture and history of the Middle East that lead to this situation and the effort to put it into context and provide meaning to the people hearing it? Where is the background on the culture and ethnic hatred between warring factions in Africa to provide context? Why are we treated to the story about Yuschenko being the underdog and winning the Ukraine elections this past fall instead of understanding the background and importance of those elections in overcoming Putin's last grab for power in that region? THAT was the story. We never heard it.

Fenton describes a news-gathering environment that has not only been gutted by corporate appetites, but one that is also staffed by dilatory producers and executives (who dismiss important stories as depressing or obscure), and which are increasingly and dangerously dependent on images and information gathered by third-party sources. He even acknowledges how anchors themselves believe they are outlandishly compensated -- while quality coverage which relies on in-depth reporting - often at great expense for remote locations or investigations, is being slashed. He also charges that the news media has also fallen victim to the entertainment / celebrity as news mindset and must reestablish its role as a keeper of the public trust.

The Fenton interview hit home for me because of a post at my friend Steve's blog regarding a recent rash of "buyouts" that the Financial Times of London offered to 30 of it's long time employees. This results in diluting the existing journalistic staff even further, and in a world where information is increasingly rushing at you with the velocity of a firehose (to borrow a phrase), how is this going to result in better reporting?

I don't mean to pick on the FT - they and other European MSM are still doing a far, far better job reporting world news in depth than their American counterparts. To be truthful, I get more of my news from the BBC and FT on many days than I do from my news aggregators for the NYT and WP. However, it's worth noting that the FT layoffs coincided with a long article in Sunday's NYT regarding the FT's parent company Pearson, and the lack of progress being made in its turnaround by its US CEO Marjorie Scardino. The paper kindly suggests she's been at the wheel too long without the results to show for it, and should probably step aside and let someone else have a go. This is but one example. Disney / Miramax, and Viacom also come to mind of course.

As a matter of fact, the lack of ratings and loss of viewers is also plaguing the major TV news broadcasts. Jack Shafer's article in Slate today questions the long pondered and much discussed future of CBS News and what the network should do in the post-Rather era. "The issue," according to a Journalism.org study, "is not just that people have turned off the television set. They have turned off the news in particular."

Shafer states my thoughts exactly when he says: "First, CBS should target serious news consumers, the sort of devotees who follow breaking news all day through news radio, cable, and the Web. Dedicate the program to breakingest of breaking news and ditch the news-you-can-use and heart-warming features unless they're stupendous. Produce a program that's worldly and doesn't waste time." I'm your audience folks, a self confessed news and politics junkie - come and get me.

The only US network still viable under the current conditions may be CNN, but even they have been bogged down lately by their attempt to create prime time, ratings catching shows, instead of focusing on the NEWS. Even Wonkette today exclaimed CNN: Officially out of ideas in talking about the demise of "Crossfire" and "Capitol Gang".

Isn't it a tenant of journalism to "stick to your strengths and stick to the story"? MSM heal thyself.

And this is why it won't be the blogosphere that spells the demise of MSM - it's a dinosaur that didn't get out of the way in time when it started to snow.

nq050307
posted by Broadsheet @ 5:30 AM  
6 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 08, 2005, Blogger Jen said…

    I can talk about this all day, for American media has sucked ass for years. I read somewhere that CNN spent like 300 billion on resources (ie, reporters in other countries, etc) whereas Fox spent 60 billion (mostly to pay opinionated talking heads to sit around and spin news from AP). And, of course, Fox's ratings were better, so now CNN is going to pay a bunch of airheads to shill the corporate line while reading AP reports. If CNN starting reporting news again, I guarantee you they would be the highest-rated network because people are starving for a news source. Why do they think blogs are so popular? So I turn on the TV to CNN Friday night and Larry King's show is devoted to Martha Stewart. So I go to the gym Saturday morning and CNN is on. What are they talking about? Martha Stewart. I so wish Ted Turner had enough money to buy CNN back. Al Gore's been talking about creating a liberal network for years, and Air America has been growing leaps and bounds the past year, but I don't even want a liberal voice. I want the NEWS. Until the MSM can provide me with it, I refuse to buy another newspaper or watch TV, although I do read the Post online now and again just so that I can write to Howie Kurtz and tell him how much I hate him.

     
  • At March 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Given that you already seemingly "apologized" for this post offline, it may be piling on to take issue with it. But hell, I've been drinking, and I'm not likely to do any work on my own hackish MSM-revenue-generating article (read "special-sections hack work") tonight myself, so what the hell.

    1. With due respect to Jen, whom I don't know, it's ironic that a comment supporting a thread that basically pleads for greater wonkishness glosses over the shallowness of the assertion that Fox is beating CNN. Huh, you say. Check this out, for the details that us news geeks (me included) purport to want.

    2. Yes, it's true that TV news was once a relative bastion of NON-profit driven work; but please let's remember that newspapers have always been profit driven, and have simply been able -- through much of the past hundred years -- to derive much of their revenue via mechanisms that neither determined nor were determined by their reportorial responsibility. Classifieds brought home the bacon. Now they don't. Publishers are not so much "less responsible" as they are forced to deal with a more unforgiving financial landscape. But it's oh so much more comfortable to blame corporate greed.

    3. Does this mean I think things are great now? Of course not. I'm probably a bigger MSM critic than Broad or Steve, though perhaps not more so than jwer.

    4. Pop quiz: American readers who tout the European media -- who are your three favorite European columnists? What is your favorite Asian paper? Can you name the largest circulation daily in India? In my experience, two-thirds of Americans who tout the foreign media haven't gone much further than watching BBC World News now and then on PBS.

    5. I love Europe. I love European cities above all others. I practically worked at the UN for awhile. But can we just stop for a moment and note that European news is more internalist BECAUSE IT IS ECONOMICALLY IMPERATIVE THAT IT BE THAT WAY. That is to say, when you're a landmass of small-to-medium-sized countries, an internationalist media is a foregone conclusion, not proof of cosmopolitanism.

    6. We get the media we deserve, or at least the media we choose to watch. I'm sorry but being a congressional press secretary attuned me all to well to people's propensity to say they want one thing while simultaneously proving they want another. Day in and day out, I saw voters decrying negative campaigns and responding to them all the same. In the media sphere, I see people saying they want McNeil/Lehrer but watching ... well, whatever. Not true of you? Great! But it's still true of most.

    7. Why in the hell do we continue to insist upon playing a monolitchic "MSM" against the blogs? For my money, the bigger question is words vs pictures, with words staging a comeback. The secondary question is personal voice vs. he said/she said "neutrality." Subjective objectivity seems to me to be kicking the crap out of facile objective objectivity. And is it just me, or do we all pretend in having this discussion that the classic opinion mags like Atlantic, The Nation, New Repubic, etc. don't exist. We're obsessed with creating a simplistic dichotomy for the sake of argument. Haven't Jon Steweart and Bill Maher already died for these sins?

    Ok, I've embarassed myself enough for one evening. I'll go now and amuse myself with stories of the glory days of MSM, when we got the real dirt on the sinking of the Maine . . . .

    Caustic with Cab Sauv indigestion,
    Mark

     
  • At March 09, 2005, Blogger Jen said…

    I think you've underscored my point, Mark--why should anyone have to reference the Fairness and Accuracy in the Media web site against everything they've read or heard in the media? The media should strive to be an objective source--opinion belongs on the opinion pages, and distortions and omissions belong nowhere.

     
  • At March 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jen,

    I think we are all (even troll Steve, who's in the belly of the beast, as it were) largely on the same page here. I also think that I am more sober now than I was last night.

    That said, I have to continue to underscore the idea that we get the media we deserve, by in large.

    Media outlets, whether part of a media giant like The Tribune Syndicate or not, need to get paid. Once upon a time, the papers got paid mostly be classifieds, which created an environment in which said papers could conceivably afford to be somewhat elitist (read: the way we'd like them to be) about content, because they were working local monopolies in many cases and there was enough in the paper that was indispensible to the masses that they could afford to shove more stories about Rwanda or Azerbajan or whatever down the masses throats than the masses might actually want.

    TV news had ad revenue and support from the much-larger penumbra of the networks that hosted them. Now we have cable and TIVO.

    We don't blame Britney and Ashley for BEING Britney and Ashley; we blame their listeners for being lame. So why then do we blame the media rather than its consumers for its vacuity.

    It's pleasant to blame THEM, but the problem is largely US. And even if you don't buy that, I don't see how banging on MSM is going to change much until Quality Gets Paid. Hopefully, that will start to happen incrementally through blog-centric micropayments. Maybe MSM will start slowly shading into a model in which they act as Golden Corrals of journalist-sanctioned blog content. Maybe something else will happen.

    But from everything I hear from my friends in MSM, MSM's current financial problems are less a function of corporate greed for obscene margins and more a function of ... simply ... surviving.

    That's the landscape in which we're banging on MSM. I share y'all's frustration. I want to win, too. I want better MSM and better-read blogs. But if we don't address the economic realities of MSM, we're to a large extent just jerking off.

    That said, Jen, keep the heat on Howie; MickeyK can't do it all!

    Cheers . . . .
    - Mark

     
  • At March 09, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Mark -

    That's OK, I was having one of my insomnia episodes when I posted it, and actually worked for a living today, so I'll respond point by point:

    1. I agree with Jen.

    2. I think the bottom line here is economics - period. Whether you attribute it to corporate greed, shareholder profits, or financial liquidity. All MSM (and most msm), rely on basic economics to survive. They've got to follow the money in order to get a story out. My gripe is that those financial pressures have largely overidden or even dictated the makeup and ability of MSM organizations to do the job properly. Couple that with pandering to the masses (again - an obvious financial concession), and you get mediocrity, or worse. I guess one of the things that ticks me off the most is that MSM seems to cater to the lowest common denominator in American society. I firmly believe they don't give the majority of Americans enough credit for being intelligent. Europeans do (for Europeans anyway, they think Yanks are dumbfucks too). I mean, look at old clips of "Your Show of Shows", or even "The Ed Sullivan Show". The skits were brighter, smarter, had more literary, cultural and historical alliterations. Why? Because only the wealthy could afford TV back then and the advertisers were pandering to a more affluent homogeneous audience. Nowadays - anyone can own a TV or computer, and MSM realizes that their income and ad revenues are based on appealing to a broader, perhaps less educated audience. I say - bullshit. There are enough channels, papers, and choices out there that people will drift to the MSM of their choosing and reward that medium for doing so. NPR does (despite the annoying fund drives).

    3. No argument.

    4. Ageed (although I notice you didn't chime in with answers). I would add Le Monde, Bild and Spiegel to your list of regularly accessed or read European rags. And to answer one question: My all time favorite European columnist for over 10 years has been Jancis Robinson of the FT for her wine columns ;-)

    5. No argument. In fact, D'uh. I hope I didn't imply otherwise. My gripe is largely with the US media.

    6. I agree, and see #2. You know me better than most people, and you know I like to watch entertainment like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and laugh all you want - but it was one of the most smartly written shows of all time and full of alliterative goodness. It was popular because Joss Whedon would not dumb it down, and in fact challenged his audience. Yes, I watched the first season of "Survivor" religiously, but I honestly have not watched a single reality TV show since. Ever. Not even American Idol. Does that mean I'm glued to CNN? No, but I do spend more time on the Discovery Channel, cooking shows, and National Geographic than is probably healthy. Frankly, Tivo has really made this entire point a moot one with me and many others. I rarely watch live TV anymore, and I love having the control it affords me (but then, I'm all about control and you know that better than anyone! hah) Anyway, I would watch news and talk shows a LOT more - if they covered issues I cared about IN DEPTH. Frankly, I prefer my news in written form to begin with, since I can pick and choose and generally ingest it faster than if someone reads it to me.

    7. No, I use MSM (perhaps incorrectly) as a catchall. If that's too simplistic or dichotomous for you, sure. I agree that there are plenty of opinion and more in-depth or niche magazines and journals out there, but let's face it, most of them have the circulation of a smallish blog, and again, the economic realities of generating a quality journal or magazine also requires a pretty steep subscription price. Honestly? If my job didn't pay for my subscriptions to many of my Medical journals and the WSJ, I can't say I would make the investment given what I can access on-line for free nowadays.

    I look forward to continuing this conversation with the "troll" this weekend (he is SO gonna get you for that!!!)

     
  • At March 10, 2005, Blogger Jen said…

    I think we're all measuring the media from a standard that doesn't exist. A lot of people point to Watergate as the high point of reporting, but based on my research, it seems more like an anomaly than a zenith. I mean, the Post under Katherine Graham also participated in the Mockingbird Project with the CIA to filter and supress certain news stories unfavorable to the government. The press has never told the complete truth, in part because of the government and also because of sensitity to advertisers, some of whom are corporate entities with dubious dealings. It seems, because of the Internet and globalization, we're just more aware of the fact that we're being lied to, but we're asking to return to something that never really existed. We need to break the mold and create a nonprofit citizen media, a fifth estate (since the fourth was always bogus).

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER