isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, February 19, 2005
Me and Barb
The last three times I've gotten my hair cut, Senator Barbara Mikulski has been at my salon. The last time I was there, we struck up a conversation and chatted. She asked very good questions about healthcare policy, and in particular, about the issues facing academic medicine. This time, we talked about the malpractice crisis in MD and insurance reform. We talked about travel, movies and books too. I had Tracy Kidder's latest book, Mountains Beyond Mountains with me and she asked about it. It's about Dr. Paul Farmer, a Harvard trained physician working in Haiti. It's really a book about humanitarianism, and I encourage you to pick it up. I'll post a review of it when I'm done.

Anyway, after our haircuts, we walked upstairs to the cafe on the corner and had lunch. Very nice. Smart lady. Very "Baltimore", and very, very, SHORT. Dr. Ruth short.

After lunch, I had to drive here to spend $$$ on new granite countertops for my kitchen. It was a gorgeous, late winter day here, so I decided to take all the windy back country roads I could on my way to Columbia. Went through some very pretty Maryland horse country, with the Thoroughbred horses out in the fields wearing their barn jackets for the most part, and saw deer and a couple of pheasant along the way. The late afternoon light this time of year is just remarkable. Everything glows.

After emptying out my wallet at the Design Center (the countertops will take 4-6 weeks to get here, and I have to go to Rockville (appropriately enough) to pick out the specific slab of the color granite I requested), I stopped here and proceeded to spend even more $$$, but comforted myself with the fact that they were heavily discounted.

Now home - and need to decide what to make for dinner. It's supposed to snow again tomorrow night (3-6 inches they say), so I suppose I need to make a trip to the market with everyone else tomorrow. I'm almost out of everything, and I desperately need more of these.
posted by Broadsheet @ 7:02 PM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Starf**ker; spendthrift!
    Is it snowing yet?

    C

     
  • At February 21, 2005, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    No snow AT ALL. The meterologists dissapoint again. We had some ice / sleet around midnight, and it's very foggy this morning, but it was a complete non event.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER