isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, November 01, 2007
The China Chronicles - Snack Street
Before we go through the Summer Palace, I think you need to experience Snack Street dear readers. Snack Street is an area near the Wangfujing shopping district in Beijing that runs every evening from about 7:00 - 10:00 PM. It's for snacks, but not just any snacks - Chinese snacks. Like US Fair Food - that also means everything comes on a stick. And I mean everything.

Snack Street - Beijing
P1010144

Here we have silkworm pupae, a variety of scorpions, large grasshoppers, and crickets - just to name a few... Of course, for the more mainstream - there is fruit on a stick.

P1010155-1

Scorpions anyone? I have no idea what the bug behind it is. It looks like a large mayfly without wings.

P1010156-1

Here we have a bowl of stinky tofu, and I mean stinky, backed up by seahorses on a stick - YUM.

P1010159-1

Always a crowd pleaser, the gey leathery looking sack is a sheep's stomach which is finely sliced and served with a hot chili sauce.

P1010158

Mmmmmm - centipedes on a stick! Also silkworm pupae and more stinky tofu. The red meat is pigeon hearts I believe, and I have no idea what the thin, wormlike things are and am not sure I really want to know.

P1010152-1

They do have some "normal" foods, like these giant crabs, although how you're supposed to eat this as a snack, I have no idea.

P1010154-1

Ahhh - crabs on a stick! Still no idea how to eat them....

P1010157

If that's not too hard to eat - try starfish on a stick!

P1010146-1

How about some dessert? This actually looked appealing, some sweet tapioca like pudding in a pineapple, had it not been for the hairy, smelly, unidentifiable stuff next to it.

P1010160-1

Bon Appetit!
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:58 PM  
4 Editorial Opinions:
  • At November 01, 2007, Blogger Zenchick said…

    Um...did you EAT any of that?!?!
    (and if so, what?)

     
  • At November 02, 2007, Blogger jwer said…

    I am a fairly adventurous eater, and yet: ew.

    Although honestly, it's more because I don't like crunchy inedible food; my mom made some Thai thing with whole shrimp in it, and I just can't eat shrimp still in their shells. It's like eating fingernails.

     
  • At November 02, 2007, Blogger Summer said…

    ewww......


    I consider myself fairly adventurous too, but there are limits to that, apparently!

     
  • At November 02, 2007, Blogger CindyWags said…

    I've BEEN there! I got tofu on a stick... it was okay. My favorite street treat (and I can't remember if it was at that market) was the little hot potatoes covered in salt. While in China, I dreamt of lasagna and ice cream... for obvious reasons.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER