isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Monday, October 02, 2006
New Friends
So, I made some new friends over the weekend. Of the human variety, I had a BALL with the girl from Sydney at the Live Baltimore booth at the Book Festival. Funny, bright, loud and crazy, an Aussie who has thrown her heart and soul into loving her adopted hometown. There will be definite hanging outs in our future! And let's not forget the crazy Cantonite by way of Minnesota, who also worked the booth with us. Hope you find a job you love, and the perfect plate of bad-for-you-but-oh-so-good festival food in the future. Really fun girls.

Of the book variety, you'll be happy to know I did NOT purchase any cookbooks! Yeah me! Instead, I picked up a biography of Borges, because I never have enough unread biographies cluttering my shelves, and I also picked up Jose' Saramago's book The Double, which I nearly finished yesterday. I didn't find it quite as compelling as Blindness, but he's a treat to read. Don't get discouraged by the overly prosaic style in his first 20 pages or so, and approach the digressions in his work as side trips in context. With that in mind - great, great writer.

And just for the fun of it, I grabbed Susan Vreeland's The Forest Lover, not just because I enjoyed her previous work, The Girl In Hyacinth Blue, but more because the novel is about the Canadian artist and iconic feminist, Emily Carr. I had the pleasure of seeing many of Carr's works at the museum in Montreal last year, and fell in love with her style and her story. Can't wait to sit down and dig in to this one.
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:08 AM  
2 Editorial Opinions:
  • At October 02, 2006, Blogger jwer said…

    a) I loved Blindness, and also The Cave
    b) Have you ever read Nabokov's Despair?

     
  • At October 02, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    jwer: Blindness was worthy of every award it received. I haven't read "Cave", and I read Nabokov about 10 years ago, which means I need to revisit him soon.

    I actually read bits of him in the original Russian in college, but that is also why I need to revisit him. My Russian sucks.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER