isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Friday, July 28, 2006
Downy Oshun to see D' Ponies
That's where I'm headed with my sister for the weekend. Chincoteague. For a couple of days of biking, bird watching, and pony watching, and to maybe scope out a rental cottage for next summer.

Wednesday and Thursday were the Annual Pony Swim and Auction in Chincoteague, so hopefully, the remaining herd that was swum back across the channel today is now relaxing in the woods and beaches after their annual traumatizing trek.

I love amazon.com. I popped on there Monday in the hopes that I could grab a couple of books for the weekend, and sure enough, in my door last night, there was an amazon.com box containing the latest summer "must read" beach book, Ruins, along with The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, by Michael Pollan. And if you haven't read Pollan's other book, The Botany of Desire, run out and get yourself a copy. In it, he presents a really erudite account of the histories of apples, tulips, potatoes and marijuana to illustrate how these species have successfully exploited human desires to succeed. A very good summer geek read!

Based on the originality and cleverness of the first book, I wasn't going to pass up a chance to read his next one.
posted by Broadsheet @ 1:07 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At August 01, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Since you're talking about books, I almost feel I should advise you to read the 3-volume Churchill biography I'm working my way through ... (too bad the author died before finishing the 3rd volume!)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER