isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Broadsheet's Top 12
My BFF Diane broke up with her long term man over the weekend after months (years) of arguing, therapy, and generally not getting along on major issues. Still, the breakup is hard. It sucks. We've all been there.

So......as Diane strikes out again into the dating void, she wanted to know what we all find as top attractions nowadays in men.

Friend Sharon writes:
  1. Shares at least a few common passions (e.g., bicycling, cooking, together)
  2. Sense of humor/playfulness - can see the lighter side of life.
  3. Self-confidence.
  4. High self esteem
  5. Physically attractive
  6. Handy. Able to do light plumbing, painting, etc.

Hmmmm. All very desireable, all noble. At my age however, I've gotten far more basic and realistic.

Nowadays I'm happy if I get my own personal Top 12 (in no particular order - OK #12 is really the most important):
  1. They have their original teeth.
  2. They have most of their original hair, or at least no comb overs, or bad toups.
  3. They must know that "irregardless" is not a word and never, ever, use it.
  4. They must know, and use, the correct pronunciation of "nuclear" and "nucular". And no, I'll never sleep with the most powerful man in world if it means giving in on this issue.
  5. Bicep tats on men are like lower back and belly button tats on women. They. do. not. age. well.
  6. Please understand and use the correct application of "flammable" and "inflammable".
  7. Same goes for "ensure", "insure", and "assure".
  8. If you unfold a road map, I expect it to be folded back up the same way, and if you empty something - replace it. This applies to: doors, toilet seats, cartons of milk, shampoo bottles, salad dressing, etc.
  9. Having more than one TV and one bathroom is essential for a relationship. 'Nough said.
  10. At 20, I came with carry on luggage. I now come with a matched set of Louis Vuitton that won't fit in the overhead compartment. You do too. Accept it and move on. Neither one of us are relationship virgins, let alone physical ones. There are in-laws, out-laws, children, step people, and exes to deal with. Deal. And deal gracefully.
  11. A Blackberry / Palm / iPod / Bluetooth headphone is not a Penis, and I'm not impressed. If we're together, they are off.
And the most important trait I look for anymore?

12. You make me think, you make me laugh, you make me come? I think I can work with you.
posted by Broadsheet @ 10:25 PM  
3 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 27, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    See? And all I'm looking for in a mate is an appreciation of Lego, an ability to cook, and an ability to put me in my place.

     
  • At July 27, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    PS - this is probably both your best post and your most personal.

     
  • At July 30, 2006, Blogger Charissa said…

    Loved this... my mom actually said to me a few weeks back, "So probably anyone you date now will have been divorced and maybe has kids." Uh, thanks mom.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER