isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Sunday, March 05, 2006
Hiring, theft charges close prominent city restaurant
I was so shocked to hear that Kawasaki's had been shut down, and I'm even more than a little surprised that I seem to be the first Baltimore blogger to talk about it. Come on people - it's the best sushi in the city! While the charges are serious and disturbing,I hope they find a way to make things right and reopen. I also hope that they are not making an example of Kawasaki to the detriment of other restaurants in the city who employ the same practices when it comes to undocumented workers.

They've apparently closed the Kawasaki sushi lunch place at Johns Hopkins Hospital as well. The gentleman that ran that location always greeted me by name when I stopped in, and always made sure he had an extra "Crunchy roll" with eel and spicy sauce for me. I was a regular, and he treated me as such with kindness, graciousness and good customer service. He also took enormous pride in getting that little lunch counter set up and running smoothly. I hope he's OK.
posted by Broadsheet @ 2:02 PM  
5 Editorial Opinions:
  • At March 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    "I also hope that they are not making an example of Kawasaki to the detriment of other restaurants in the city who employ the same practices when it comes to undocumented workers"

    Um, you are aware that the charges basically add up to white slavery? I'm not going to name names of restaurants that turn a blind eye when it comes to green cards. *wink wink* but the charges against kawasaki are insane. if they are true i am blown away by them. housing employees in sweatshop conditions, stealing tips. generally, when illegals tips are being stolen, organized crime and human trafficking is involved (latin americans and asians pay thousands of dollars to enter country - held against will under threat of death until money is paid back. I certainly hope you are not a- okay with that to get your fancy raw fish. that would be pretty reprehensible.

     
  • At March 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree with eebmore that the charges against Kawasaki are worse than what I think (or assume) typically goes on with employing undocumented workers. (For example, one of J's previous roommates was an illegal immigrant who worked in a Mt. Vernon restaurant, but he got his pay and his tips and he made enough to pay for his share of the rent.)

    As for the loss of Kawasaki, I have to say that I never thought it was all that amazing. At least, in the grand scheme of sushi. I suppose for Baltimore it was one of the best, but there isn't a lot of good competition and it really wasn't heads above the rest. And in fact, their Fells Point location was really disappointing. I think Matsuri in Federal Hill might be better than the Fells Point Kawasaki was.

    The last time I had toro from Kawasaki, it was basically grizzle. They should have paid me $10 to eat it, not the other way around. I was so mad, but too much of a wuss to complain. Now I wish I had.

    For better sushi, go to DC (e.g., Sushi Taro). I think even Kyodai in Towson is on par with Kawasaki in terms of the freshness of the fish. Their hamachi nigiri (yellowtail) is very good!

     
  • At March 05, 2006, Blogger tfg said…

    Wow! An Asian restaurant raiding the cookie jar, there's a shocker.

    Ever notice how many Baltimore Asian restuarants ring cash purchases on an adding machine and not the cash register?

     
  • At March 05, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    eeb and Seadragon - I wasn't strong enough in expressing my surprise I guess. YES - if they are found to have done everything that was alleged? They should pay the harshest penalty that can be applied. But I don't think I'm being naive in believing that this isn't a much larger issue than Kawasaki. Sadly.

    Even if the owners are punished, the employees will still suffer the loss of their jobs and many may be deported - they lose no matter what the outcome.

     
  • At March 06, 2006, Blogger Cham said…

    I was at Kawasaki a couple of months ago. Although the maitre'd was friendly and personable, the servers seemed almost timid and frightened. I couldn't put my finger on why I had a slightly creepy feeling afterward but these charges explain it all.

    Kawasaki seemed overpriced, I think I am partial to Matsuri.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER