isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, February 11, 2006
Blizzard Blogging
The first flakes are falling in downtown Baltimore at 3:00 PM. Luckily, I have everything I could possibly need, and am more than happy to cocoon for the weekend. It's kinda fun giving yourself a snow day. A perfect excuse not to do the million and one things that need to get done whether it's snowing or not. I was supposed to attend a party this evening, but having been out every night this week for one thing or another, it might be nice to build a fire and watch a movie instead.

I did make a pre-snowstorm errand run early this morning, and thought that the snow had already started because the roads were white with swirling powder. Then I realized that it was heavy amounts of salt that they had already dumped on the roads in advance of the storm. Guess they're taking the weather reports seriously. Since it started out as rain for a couple of hours, I'm hoping perhaps the accumulation will be less than forecast (8 inches).

In other news, the police shot and killed a man last evening just a few blocks from my house. It took me 40 minutes to get home from work, for what is normally a seven minute commute. Traffic was snarled for miles in downtown and the light rail was halted. I knew something big was up from the TV news helicopters buzzing over my house as I got closer. By the time I drove by the scene later, on my way to another birthday party, there was yellow police tape everywhere, a pair of bloody jeans on the sidewalk, and those little plastic markers that they use on CSI to mark the bullets and bullet casings.
posted by Broadsheet @ 3:09 PM  
7 Editorial Opinions:
  • At February 11, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    This is the kind of day TV-show-DVD boxsets were made for!

     
  • At February 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By any chance, was your errand at Safeway today? If so, I was the strange woman looking at you like I thought I recognized you but was too embarrassed to be wrong. :) And if that wasn't you, I hope the person I did stare at wasn't too creeped out...

     
  • At February 11, 2006, Blogger Bonanza JellyBean said…

    I've already prepared myself. I went out today and bought Scrubs season 1 and 2 on DVD. PLUS HBO On Demand has Season 4 of the Sopranos. Oh, yeah, baby! I'm set.

     
  • At February 11, 2006, Blogger jwer said…

    Twas a bad week for the Light Rail... there was an unidentified issue (possibly a fire downtown, according to reports) on Wednesday that stopped northbound service from at least 5:00 until 5:30, which is how long I was walking home. And then this. At least this time they had police officers come out and tell us they had shut down service. On Wednesday, when I called the MTA, they said "it's just running a little late". Blah.

     
  • At February 11, 2006, Blogger Broadsheet said…

    Snay and BJB: Yep - but I watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics that I Tivoed from last night instead.

    Seadragon: Dear Lord woman, if you recognized me with wet hair, wearing a baseball cap, no makeup, and glasses on, then I have to come up with a better Saturday morning disguise.

    jwer: But then again, we live downtown for the convenience - right?

     
  • At February 12, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Tonight was made for Battlestar!

     
  • At February 12, 2006, Blogger deanne said…

    I wish we'd get snow like that here! I would love a snow-day. It's the one thing that sucks about London's temporate "blah" climate - no snow.

    Pictures be what I is after!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER