isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Saturday, December 31, 2005
The Calm Before the Storm
Wow. It's only 3:00, and the house is clean, the table linens are ironed, the food is prepped, and I can relax for an hour or so before I have to put the roast in the oven and guests get here.

For the last 4 years or so, I have thrown a huge New Year's Eve bash for upwards of 30+ people. Last year's party was just so-so, mainly because I just wasn't really into it, and also because a lot of key people were out of town last year.

This year, I decided I'd rather celebrate with my closest friends and neighbors, and when my good buddy L. from London decided to hightail it over to our side of the pond for the festivities, I decided that it was more important to have a quality celebration as opposed to quantity.

So....there is an enormous crown roast of pork with apple stuffing in the outdoor fridge (i.e the grill). According to the recipe - it should look like this when it's done, and I have to say, the butcher did a superb job tieing the roast together. So far, so good.

There is an awesome restaurant in Sedona, Arizona called the Heartline Cafe, and I loved it so much, I got a signed copy of the chef's cookbook. In it, there is a very simple recipe for braised red cabbage with hazelnuts and goat cheese that is just to die for. Yummy. I'm making that, along with the usual mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and a pear/blue cheese/pecan salad with a shallot/bacon vinagrette.

Good food for some great people in my life. I'm sure there will be copius quantities of good wine to accompany the feast, and then I'm not sure what we'll do. Play some games, hang out for the ball to drop, or head downtown for the fireworks. Whatever we do - it will be a nice night for sure.

Hope you're getting to spend it with your friends and loved ones too - Happy New Year everyone.
posted by Broadsheet @ 2:56 PM  
1 Editorial Opinions:
  • At January 01, 2006, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Happy New Years, Linda!

    Although I don't usually drink much on New Year's when my schedule sandwiches around the holiday, I am enjoying a small glass of Ball Buster.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER