isnaini_blogtemplate23
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - Cyril Connolly
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Energized
Can I just say how amazing it is to really, truly love your job and realize you've probably just made one of the best decisions in your life?

I feel like I've awakened from a coma. Truly. The difference is that stark. It's not that I was miserable in the old job - really - I wasn't. It was just that after 10 years, it was status quo; dead end; I wasn't learning from it anymore, and I was phoning it in every day. I needed to grow.

I felt like an unwatered plant that had outgrown its flowerpot.

I fully realize that I am in that very dangerous period of a relationship when it is all excitement, tingling, can't-wait-to-see-hear-talk-to them again. You know what I'm talking about : the truly stupid, crazy-in-love-passionate part of any blossoming relationship. You love everything they say or do. Everything they like, you suddenly have an obsession with. It's hard to avoid PDAs. Yeah - it's like that.

The good and bad of this is that:

(1) This feeling will end. Like passion, it cannot sustain itself indefinitely and the "bloom will fade".
(2) Enjoy it while it lasts. It is one of life's true gifts, and something that most of us spend a lifetime trying to find.
(3) Once the rose fades, the best that can happen is that you are left with the warm, loving, comfortable intimacy of friendship and companionship, and a shared sense of goals and values in life. You are also left with the memory of the passion, which makes intimacy more immediate.
(4) There will be hard, horrible, ugly, tearful fights, jealousies and indiscretion. There will be many sleepless nights and angry, but controlled, conversations.
(5) There will be compromise.
(6) There will be reconciliation.

These rules don't just apply to love. These rules applies to any relationship we are passionate about, and something that I spend 50+ hours a week doing, damn well better be enjoyable and rewarding in the long run.
I think people sometimes pity me because I don't have a partner (at the moment). What they fail to realize is, I have a completely functional family that most people can't even conceive of having for support and closeness. I also have a wealth of friends and neighbors that I would not trade for the world.

For. The. World.

I have a career that I'm passionate about, and now, after a difficult patch of 3 years, I have a job that I'm passionate about again.

I am rich beyond measure.

Oh, and did I mention happy??
posted by Broadsheet @ 9:26 PM  
6 Editorial Opinions:
  • At July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grats on the job excitement, but bigger grats on noticing your blessings. Sometimes they're easy to miss if you aren't paying attention.

     
  • At July 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bah! Humbug!!
    :-)
    C(aka Grouchy)

     
  • At July 14, 2005, Blogger jwer said…

    Wait, you can LIKE a JOB???????

     
  • At July 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is so wonderful Linda! Congrats on all fronts!

    Fool

     
  • At July 14, 2005, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Hurah! Hurah!

    :)

     
  • At July 14, 2005, Blogger Katie said…

    I'm going through the same anomaly right now. It makes me so giggly - here's to hanging onto the feeling and congratulations, Linda!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Publisher

Name: Broadsheet
Home:
About Me: The Editor in Chief
See my complete profile
Mainstream Media

World News: Darfur/Sudan

Left Handed Editors

Right Handed Editors

The Personals

Food and Wine

Literature, Academia, Arts, and Culture

Healthcare and Technology

Book Reviews

The Tabloids

Previous Post
Archived Editions
Classifieds

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Blog Baltimore

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

ripple

Save the Net

Blogtimore Hon

Powered by

BLOGGER